1995 Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've been asked by my daughter's boyfriend to change his oil and filter. He has a 95 Jeep Cherokee, at this point I don't even know which engine it has but an internet search seems to indicate all the possible engines use the same filter but I was surprised to see that 10W30 was recommended. All I have on hand is 5W30. Since fall is here I'm thinking that 5W30 should be ok unless anyone here can tell me why that would not be a good idea. I'm hoping that when he arrives tonight he still has the owner's manual so I can verify the amount. Any recommendations? TIA

If it's the 4.0L 6-cyl, it will take 6 qts. These are an old school engine, and most seem a little happier with 10W30. With winter coming, and seeing where you live, 5W30 will be fine unless the engine is really worn (low oil pressure).

I'd use Shell T5 10w-30. Semi syn and HD which those old 4.0s seem to like. Fram TG would be a good filter choice for that too. You can grab both at Walmart for under $22 or you can buy two gallons of it and use the remaining oil for top offs or even change your small machines with it. Goods stuff

Those engines - the 2.5 or the more popular 4.0 - don't care about oil. I have run everything from 5w-20 to 15w-40 and other than some more top end noise on 15w-40 and 5w-40, as long as it's only oil and not coolant in the sump it's happy!

I have supertech 10w-30 in mine right now. Seems to work just as good as anything else, even when it's bouncing off the rev limiter.

10W30 in NH? I'd be tempted to go 5W30 also. But Miller's climate isn't that much different, so if he has good luck I'd run with that. Can't be that much more expensive to buy "special" oil for just this beast--I presume you have to buy a filter anyhow?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Wait wait wait, boyfriend who can't change his own oil? And wants to date your daughter? Red flag? Dude sounds helpless. PASS!

As he is the father of my grandson, I think it's a bit late to pass! (and he has been a devoted father)

Originally Posted By: supton
10W30 in NH? I'd be tempted to go 5W30 also. But Miller's climate isn't that much different, so if he has good luck I'd run with that. Can't be that much more expensive to buy "special" oil for just this beast--I presume you have to buy a filter anyhow?

I already bought a filter, I just thought it would take 5W30. I may have a couple of quarts of 10W30 around, I'll put those in and make up the difference with the 5W30.

I'm using 10w-30 because I got the 5 quart of ST Synthetic jugs at Walmart for like $8. Otherwise I'd run 5w-30 if that was cheaper. I will be adding in a quart of 5w-30 Pennzoil ultra that I got on clearance from AZ for like $2 last winter.

No issues using 10w-30 last winter.

Got a 93 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 straight 6, been using 5-30 since new. Now has near 195K miles on it, engine never been touched but I've been meticulous with my maintenance. Starting to have some cam noise, which is common on these old coots.

5w30 will be fine if the engine is generally healthy. The 4.0 and 2.5 tend to bleed oil pressure through wear in the oil pump itself and wear in the cam bearings (harmless otherwise) as they get miles on them. They don't run very high pressure to start with, so I prefer a 5w40 oil personally, but I've run 5w30 without issue in the "tighter" of the two 4.0s I've owned. The "looser" one would flicker the oil light when hot on 5w30 until I re-gasketed the oil pan and put in a new oil pump while I was there. I see you're in NH, so you probably don't need a 40 like I do in Texas, even if its a neglected and worn engine.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will put in the two quarts of 10W30 and make up the difference with the 5W30 I have on hand. I'll have him run it for no more than 3K and then next time I will put in some ST HM 10W30. When summer comes back around I will consider a 10W40.

Consider dumping the trannie's sump. My sister's Cherokees (both with the 4 speed) dumped exactly 1 quart common Dex/Merc.
Also, the "Formula Shell" white bottle from Costco worked real well in her 4.0l '99 Jeep. Ran real quietly.

...and about questioning his value as a person because he doesn't change his own oil (Ha-Ha) remember, sometimes it's about deposing of the old and filter.
That job alone can involve lots of driving.

Originally Posted By: judsonj
Thanks for the help everyone. I will put in the two quarts of 10W30 and make up the difference with the 5W30 I have on hand. I'll have him run it for no more than 3K and then next time I will put in some ST HM 10W30. When summer comes back around I will consider a 10W40.

Really can't go wrong on oil with the 4.0s. You got a good lineup.

My winter oil for my 4.0 will be PHM 5w30 and substitute a qt with 10w40. Then when spring and summer come around T5 10w40 will be in it.

5 gallon jug of Valvoline Maxlife or Rotella 10w30 and a Fram TG16 filter.

'Nuff said.

I used these on my 1991 Cherokee for 20 years. Never an issue. Great engine that was easy on oil.

GL

I had a 1994 Cherokee 4.0L, 2wd. I used to run 10w30 or 5w30 in it, along with a PH8A sized oil filter. About 2x as long as the OEM size oil filter.

Ran the same in my 1997 Wranger 2.5L.

The 5w30 will be fine this time of year, but use the 10w30 first and finish off with your 5w30 as you suggested. The oversize filters are great on this engine, a Tough Guard TG8A would be a great choice for upcoming winter use.

Originally Posted By: judsonj
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Wait wait wait, boyfriend who can't change his own oil? And wants to date your daughter? Red flag? Dude sounds helpless. PASS!

As he is the father of my grandson, I think it's a bit late to pass! (and he has been a devoted father)

In that case, educational opportunity!

In my sons grand cherokee , I run 5-30 in the winter it is the 5.2 l v8 never had a starting issue now he is in Minnesota so I am trialing some full synthetic ( wall mart 3 5 qt sale) valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back