A/C Compressor recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. The A/C compressor in my 2011 Ford Focus is bad. What are good a/c compressors? Going to check on price of a Motorcraft one soon. Thank you in advance.

A new Motorcraft from Rockauto... Although it all depends on the installer. If they don't put oil in it they'll fail regardless. That's what happened on our Focus.

I recently got a motor craft one from the dealer for a customer. Made in China! Same as the ones from the parts houses just more expensive. The secret is how clean the system is and proper amount of oil.

Sanden made in USA if it fits.

2011 is way too new for a failed compressor
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The secret is how clean the system is and proper amount of oil.

This

For the compressor warranty, I believe you have to flush all the other components in the system and refill each with the recommended type and amount of oil. You will likely need some new O-rings and seals. Its smart to use NYLOG on the O-rings. I'd even check the amount of oil in the compressor just to be sure. Further, I'd consider installing an in-line filter while the system is open. And I highly recommend adding some refrigerant dye to spot leaks later. Then evacuate it - make sure it holds vacuum - and refill. Overkill? Some would say so. But I hate doing a job twice.

You might as well replace the condenser,receiver dryer and expansion valve while in there. Plus as said....flush the whole system generously. When compressors die they usually leave ton of metal residue in the system which if not flushed out will destroy the new unit in no time. Most newer condensers have such tiny cooling tubes they cannot be flushed adequately. Then find out which PAG oil it takes and how much too.

At a minimum replace the receiver / dryer and the expansion valve as well. Most compressors warranties are void if these components are not replaced at the same time.

Sanden if they make a compatible model, no question at all. OEM otherwise (eg. Nippondenso). If you buy pretty much anything else from a parts store, Rockauto, etc., you'll get a chinese-made knockoff that may *look* genuine, but is a copy. Those are really hit-and-miss.

Originally Posted By: Doog
When compressors die they usually leave ton of metal residue in the system which if not flushed out will destroy the new unit in no time.

True, but my experience is that compressors leak, in which case it doesn't spread debris through the rest of the A/C system. The OP didn't state exactly why they were replacing the compressor.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

True, but my experience is that compressors leak, in which case it doesn't spread debris through the rest of the A/C system. The OP didn't state exactly why they were replacing the compressor.

That is important. If it was only leaky or a failure of the clutch or pulley bearing, it takes little more than slapping on a new compressor. If the compressor failed internally (e.g. seized up, or turns but doesn't pump), system contamination will be an issue.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Doog
When compressors die they usually leave ton of metal residue in the system which if not flushed out will destroy the new unit in no time.

The seals leak and the compressor loses it's refrigerant AND pag oil...then it starts to eat itself from the inside out and shed debris throughout the system.

Just replaced the compressor, condenser, drier, x-valve, and EVAPORATOR in an 11 Focus. The evap was quite a pain.

Bought the compressor off Amazon. It works just fine, 15,000 miles so far.

Companies got smart and no longer build cars around the speedometer cable (most cases electric now?). But something has to "kick off" the assembly line process. Now it's either the evaporator or heater core. Everything else is built around them, making them the most difficult to replace items on the car.

My last car had a minor leak in the evaporator. It required completely disassembling the dash to get to it. Doing the cost/benefit ratio, I figured I could live with recharging the system every 12-18 months for 10-15 years for what it cost to replace the evaporator. Since I had the car for 12 years already, it was unlikely I'd keep it for those 10-15 years to break even on the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back