Oil Filters GM LS1 Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking @ the owners manual of my brother's 2016 Sierra 2500HD and saw that the 5.3 motor uses a PF63 (long) filter while the 6L motor uses the PF48 (long) filter. Has anyone ever got an explanatiob for this? Several years ago the LS1s in trucks used a long filter which was superceded by a short filter. Now they've gone back to 2 different sized filters

I just went with the Wix 57045 or the Napa Gold 7045
cheers3.gif

Sayjac, I read the links and interesting. My OP was on my phone so I didn't expand.

My 2000 2500 w/ the 6L had a long filter (I don't recall the PN). My next truck, a '04 2500HD used a long filter too (pretty sure same PN as the 2000). Then partway thru my ownership of it (sold it in the summer of 2010) GM obsoleted/superceded 4 filters & came up w/ a new PN which was a short "baby food jar" size. When I ran out of my stock of long filters, I starting using the WIX equivalent.

When I bought my '11 I noticed that a similarly sized "short" filter (w/ a different thread) was the FF. Researching BITOG & checking the WIX & AC Delco sites, I started using the longer PF63 & WIX equivalent. Then a while back I noticed that GM is specing 2 different filters on basically the same motor.

Tonight I read this: "The current 2013 Traverse owners manual calls for the larger PF63 / PF63E filter." Throw in the "Replace with PF63" notation on a PF48 & you really have to wonder what is going on.

As an aside, I've come across a similar "replace with" note. On my 2011 Polaris Ranger, the FF was 1 PN while the replacement Polaris filter had a different PN & looked slightly different.

All of this is moot as I get 2 years of free oil changes. After that I'll be going back to the PF63s. Heck I may even ask why the different filters are used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: revrnd
....Tonight I read this: "The current 2013 Traverse owners manual calls for the larger PF63 / PF63E filter." Throw in the "Replace with PF63" notation on a PF48 & you really have to wonder what is going on....

It's been 'speculated' that the smaller/(shorter) filter from the factory as shown in the link with the longer PF63 used subsequently, is for assembly line purposes and ease.

It's also interesting as shown in the link that the factory filter has no adbv but the replacement filters use one.

Guess I'd just say, if in doubt use the filter that is spec for the vehicle whether ACDelco or aftermarket like the noted Wix/Napa Gold filter, and you're covered by all warranties.

on an earlier Tahoe, I believe they used the shorter filter for 4WD rigs, and the longer one on 2WD---due to potential clearance issues with either the 4WD assembly or potential off-road conditions
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
on an earlier Tahoe, I believe they used the shorter filter for 4WD rigs, and the longer one on 2WD---due to potential clearance issues with either the 4WD assembly or potential off-road conditions
Steve

I haven't had a problem putting a PF63 on a 4WD GMT900, if they're concerned w/ ground clearance (it's not a Corvette) then I think you'd tear up your driveshaft before the oil filter was damaged.

Originally Posted By: steve20
i usually lurk a lot--and don't comment too much, now I remember why.................

Thanks for the help

I don't know why the 5.3 would require the longer filter than the 6.0 I looked up on ACDelco.com and sure enough, you're correct. Does the 6.0 have AFM?

They changed the 5.3 a bit in 2014, bumped the capacity up to 8 quarts from 6 and the new viscosity was 0W-20 where the 6.0 still has the 6 quart sump and calls for 5W-30. I'm guessing they went with a larger filter on the 5.3 for the added oil capacity perhaps.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I don't know why the 5.3 would require the longer filter than the 6.0 I looked up on ACDelco.com and sure enough, you're correct. Does the 6.0 have AFM?

No, the 6.0 doesn't have AFM.

I have used the over sized for years and now that fits my Ford too - M1 M212 or XG10575 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back