L67 UOA update Thanks Pennzoil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me thank Mike in Pennzoil engineering and the Pennzoil team for their input and help with this issue. I provided them with the engine parts and specs as well as the high stall speed of the TC. this is the UOA in question.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4211795/2000_L67_PU_5w30#Post4211795

Mike had a conference with the engineering team at the lab and the consensus is the engine is literally breaking the oil and a xw30 is not enough to protect this particular engine.
It has an oil cooler and good oil pressure/flow but its not enough, output is much higher than stock so who knows what forces are in play down on the crank.

We are trying 0w40 SRT now and possibly 5w50 depending on the results. I did pop the shells and nothing is abnormal, no streaking or measurable wear from the time it was put together so its a good healthy engine we are testing against.
Pennzoil have been fantastic with this, I am really taken aback by the amount of help they have provided, I have had a couple of hour long phone conversations with Mike going over everything. How many companies would go anywhere close to that to help a customer?

I will post UOA's as they come but unfortunately the car is going to sleep in a few weeks for the winter.

Talk about a company that cares! Kudos to Pennzoil! I doubt you'd get that kind of CS from any of the oil companies, big or small.

Originally Posted By: Trav
We are trying 0w40 SRT now and possibly 5w50 depending on the results. I did pop the shells and nothing is abnormal, no streaking or measurable wear from the time it was put together so its a good healthy engine we are testing against

Trav, what's OEM bearing clearances vs as is ?

0.0010 on #1 and 0.0012 on #2,3,4 with tri metal shells which is the middle for stock, these engines don't have any serious bottom end issues once you swap the rods out for L32 powder metal or other aftermarket performance rods and get a double roller chain up front.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Interesting. I also have a highly modified 3800 and have always ran 5w30 until the last oil change where I went with Mobil 0w40. Good info!

It seems once you get near the 400HP mark these things beat the hades out of the oil. I will PM you the conversation I had with them, its not for publication because of the thin/thick storm it would undoubtedly cause here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clearance isn't on the loose side .... I'd the hunch your wear #s would improve over time, more so with a xW40 in place.
Appreciate your update, and mind sharing your conversation in PM?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Great stuff. Curious though why did you not start with the 5w-40 euro?

I would concur that an Euro xW40 is preferred to SN/SM xW40 in this application though OEM didn't call for one.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Great stuff. Curious though why did you not start with the 5w-40 euro?

They feel this SRT oil is better suited, other options were discussed but this is it for the first run (and maybe beyond). With this level of help Pennzoil engineers are giving me I will go with what they recommend. The engine is all roller so zinc is not an issue.
Did you mean why did I not start with Euro after I built it? Simple Bitog!
lol.gif

Normally I would have put Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 in it right away and forgot about it (in fact that's just what I did on the other one) but I sort of bought into better base stock along with an oil pressure and temp gauge will be a good guide for protecting the engine. It isn't, there is no substitute for viscosity in an old school engine like this one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Now this is worth paying attention to.

Definitely.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
+1 to Trav.Is it safe to say your sold on Pennzoil? I've had great luck with Gena and Pennzoil Ultra.

I like Pennzoil a lot and have used it since 1975 when it had PZ7 on the label, its usually the brand i buy for most vehicles, so yes you could say I am sold on it.
That doesn't mean other brands are not on the go too list for some applications, the local availability of Pennzoils Euro oils is unfortunately very limited, I would like to try them but if you cant buy them it sort of takes that option off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back