Changing the oil tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on changing the oil in the Accord tomorrow morning. PPPP 0w20 is coming out and PPPP 0w20 will be going in, the Fram Ultra will remain on for a second OCI. Current fill has 6 months and 4,700 miles on it. MM shows 40% oil life remaining. I plan on having the oil analyzed and will post the results when I get them. Sure I could probably go longer but I only purchased the car a year ago and last OCI was 3000 miles with an analysis, that came back with some fuel delusion and high sodium (didn't use an oil with sodium). Everything else looked fine though so I let the OCI ride out a bit longer this run. If all comes back clean Ill try and go further next time as well.

If you could get away with just doing the UOA... Hope for the best and get 10k out of that oil. Short OCI's with such good oil is like replacing tires when the nubs wear off. Of course I did do a 781 mile OCI before so I cant complain too much!

4,700 miles! You're getting wild there Greg! I'm at 7,300 miles on this oil change in my car, will probably stretch it out to 8,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
4,700 miles! You're getting wild there Greg! I'm at 7,300 miles on this oil change in my car, will probably stretch it out to 8,500 miles.

I know right! haha. Hey, when I first became a member of BITOG I was doing 3 month OCI's with normally landed me in the 2000 - 3000 mile area.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
If you could get away with just doing the UOA... Hope for the best and get 10k out of that oil. Short OCI's with such good oil is like replacing tires when the nubs wear off. Of course I did do a 781 mile OCI before so I cant complain too much!

I would be changing once a year to make it to 10K on an OCI, I am not interested. My commute to work is 0.9 - 5 miles depending on which route I take, this is not enough to get the oil hot, or even the coolant hot for that matter in the winter. Oil is cheap, spending an extra $22 a YEAR is nothing. It kills me that some people around here talk about what a waste that is. Just give up A SINGLE dinner out and you have already made your money back and then some.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I would be changing once a year to make it to 10K on an OCI, I am not interested. My commute to work is 0.9 - 5 miles depending on which route I take, this is not enough to get the oil hot, or even the coolant hot for that matter in the winter. Oil is cheap, spending an extra $22 a YEAR is nothing. It kills me that some people around here talk about what a waste that is. Just give up A SINGLE dinner out and you have already made your money back and then some.

That's funny coming from the guy who overthinks and frets about minutiae. Imagine the horror you'd feel if you knew some of us have changed our conventional oil twice a year regardless of mileage (and at times it's been well more than 8,000 miles per oil change). And imagine the shock and horror you'd feel if you found out that the vast majority of us have never had a single oil related issue, despite those long oil change intervals.

It's just a car.

"It's just a car."

It's just the second dearest thing we buy

It's an extremely expensive thing we buy for every member the family

They're bewildering for many to manage

Their known to have broken families due to expense

...don't we love 'em

Some people like to over maintain their vehicles.

All the cars I have bought in Japan an imported to the UK have had lots of history regarding oil changes, intervals have always been on the short side and annual mileages low.

10year old vehicles with 60/70k km for example is typical of many Japanese vehicles.

People say that they have never had an oil related failure which is great, but just because it doesn't fail doesn't mean there isn't extra wear.

I know somebody with a 2010 116i, low miles and after 2 years of short tripping and City miles the camchain went, it was thought he tensioner seized and the chain jumped.

Now was that an oil related failure? I suspect it might have been related,

Oil is cheap, engines are not.

BMW has fairly lengthy OCI in Europe, they also have a reputation for camchain problems. The worst being the 2.0d. Mercedes also have long OCI, and I am starting to here about more and more people with the 2.2d engine having Camchain problems.

The diesel Pathfinder (R51) has very common Camchain problems, as early as 80k miles but as the miles get to 120k or so they become more common. Also in the Navara with the same engine.

My Pathfinder stuck with the 18k OCI for the first three years, though it did motorway/highway miles for those years and had 5 Services when I bought it.

I ignored the 18k miles interval and done it every 6 mths or so, Regardless of miles. Net result was at 150k miles the camchain was still fine.

You pays your money.......

Yeah, it's just a car, but we all spend X amount of our valuable time talking about engines and oil on the internet, so they must have some intrinsic value to us.

I personally have to really push myself to WAIT until the 5,000 mile mark to change the oil. I get this unnatural emotional high from changing oil on an engine. To mitigate the cost of my unhealthy oil-changing addiction, I don't buy expensive oil, and search out rebates and sales to minimize my cost. I don't do it out of fear of engine damage or anything like that. I just enjoy the instant gratification of draining non-golden oil out and pouring new golden oil in. It's NOT healthy, and I'll never claim that it is!
cheers3.gif

I getcha, Greg!

My OCI is 6 months regardless of mileage. I work from home so even though the truck has a 10k OCI, it looks like it will only be at around 3k when it gets changed.

Fuel dilution aside many UOA trends show a decrease in wear as you add miles to oil. After this run if the fuel dilution checks out it will be time to run that oil for what it's worth! Looking forward to checking it out.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I personally have to really push myself to WAIT until the 5,000 mile mark to change the oil. I get this unnatural emotional high from changing oil on an engine. To mitigate the cost of my unhealthy oil-changing addiction, I don't buy expensive oil, and search out rebates and sales to minimize my cost. I don't do it out of fear of engine damage or anything like that. I just enjoy the instant gratification of draining non-golden oil out and pouring new golden oil in. It's NOT healthy, and I'll never claim that it is!
cheers3.gif

I'm finally going over 5000 on the Jeep! Now that I'm almost at 6K, I might wait until the beginning of December to see just how far I can go with it. Severe service, though.

Last change i went 7500 in the Focus. I thought that was pretty reasonable. Once you do it a few times it gets easier, I promise.

Baby steps for Greg. At least he's not changing it at 3000 anymore. PP can likely go 7500 miles minimum, even short tripped. Let's see what the UOA shows. I'd at least double stint those high dollar filters.

I got 3200 miles on my Edge gold bottle and its feeling real thin and having more startup racket. I think I changed the oil maybe 4 or 5 months ago? Id have to check the paperwork.

If I start hearing bearing and piston racket the oil and filter is going. Maybe I should just try the filter? I wish I had a simple viscometer to check the oil hot. Like a paint viscometer.

Its interesting the different thoughts on oil and filter changes. I bought my Honda last Dec and only have 3800 miles on it, mostly short trips. The OLM says oil life is 40%. I leave next week for my first long trip of around 3500 miles and its all I can do not to change the oil and filter before I go. But I will leave it until I get back, but man its tough to wait. Since the trip is all interstate miles it will be interesting to see what the OLM tells me by the end of the trip.

For years my mother did five block commutes with a car laden with stuff, many times a day. Then trips of 1-2 miles for errands. The horror of it when the car got sold with nearly 200k on the clock and 15 years of use.

We found long ago that with a decent syn oil, non-severe intervals could be utilized with severe or abnormal use.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

That's funny coming from the guy who overthinks and frets about minutiae. Imagine the horror you'd feel if you knew some of us have changed our conventional oil twice a year regardless of mileage (and at times it's been well more than 8,000 miles per oil change). And imagine the shock and horror you'd feel if you found out that the vast majority of us have never had a single oil related issue, despite those long oil change intervals.

It's just a car.

Please remove the stick up your butt, then jump down off your high horse. That would be great, thanks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

For years my mother did five block commutes with a car laden with stuff, many times a day. Then trips of 1-2 miles for errands. The horror of it when the car got sold with nearly 200k on the clock and 15 years of use.

We found long ago that with a decent syn oil, non-severe intervals could be utilized with severe or abnormal use.

Thats good to hear. How did she rack up 200K miles doing short trips? I have a hard time hitting 10K a year.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I got 3200 miles on my Edge gold bottle and its feeling real thin and having more startup racket. I think I changed the oil maybe 4 or 5 months ago? Id have to check the paperwork.

If I start hearing bearing and piston racket the oil and filter is going. Maybe I should just try the filter? I wish I had a simple viscometer to check the oil hot. Like a paint viscometer.

What in the world are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back