2014 Tacoma 4.0 4x4 Oil Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 14 Tacoma 4.0 with 25000 miles. My question is since it has a conventional oil recommended of 5w30. I am wanting to change to synthetic oil, would M1 0W30 be a good choice? Or should I stick with a synthetic 5W30? The truck has just been serviced at the dealer(Honda Dealer) where I purchased with conventional oil and a napa filter. I want get that filter off there and put a Toyota filter on it along with the synthetic oil. I am a new guy on here so any help will be appreciated.

Any proper rated oil and proper maintenance will give your engine a long. long life. The most important thing about an oil filter is that is doesn't fail. what about the drive line and P.S fluids?

I will probably have all the drive line fluids and the ps changed to synthetic soon also. I change my oil every 5000 miles, and believe in preventative maintance on all my equipment.

I will probably have all the drive line fluids and the ps changed to synthetic soon also. I change my oil every 5000 miles, and believe in preventative maintance on all my equipment.

No need to rush to get the Napa filet or conventional oil out. Run it for 5k and add whatever you decide on.

My Toyota truck well 4Runner actually was dealership serviced with bulk oil for the first 255, 000 miles of its life. It's still trucking along today with 319, 320 miles on it.

Having a lower cold weight probably will have no value for you in a warmer state of Alabama. Stick with recommended 5w30. I saw a marked improvement in my Xterra after changing all fluids I could to synthetic. Just got home from a 2000 mile round trip and average milage pulling a 3000 lb pop up trailer was over 18 doing 65 plus even in the hills of WI. The EPA milage on this vehicle 19 hwy tops.
Your NAPA filter may well have been made by Wix. Supertech filters at Walmart now are being made by Wix. 5000 mile OCI unless severe duty is very conservetive with sythetics. Good luck and enjoy your new to you vehicle

I hope this one will go as long as yours have. I can't get use to the mpg of this 4.0 though, I had a Tacoma 2.7 4x4 until last week and it got a lot better mileage even with a lift and running on mt's. Hopefully when do change to synthetic it will improve the mpg a little.

I had a 2006 4x4 2.7 x cab Toyota that I gave to my son . I loved the truck and the 2.7 engine was really a nice engine.

My 15 Tacoma with the 4.0L gets 22-23. Mobil One EP 5W30 and Amsoil Severe Gear oil in the diff. Dont expect much.

ARB1977 Do you think the Amsoil Severe Gear contributes to that gas mileage? I have only had mine for a 1.5 weeks but have only gotten 16.5 mpg when I figured the first tank. I did hurt mine a little when I put AT Tires on it and went up a size.

I went to 265/70R16 tires and Black FJ TRD wheels. AFE dry flow filter and recently TRD catback exhaust. When I bought the truck it was stock. Nothing improved fuel efficiency.

Is yours 4x4? I have heard stories of anywhere from 16-22 mpg. I run name brand gas and drive pretty easy most of the time, so hopefully that first tank was a mathematical error.

Originally Posted By: Toddmsu261
Is yours 4x4? I have heard stories of anywhere from 16-22 mpg. I run name brand gas and drive pretty easy most of the time, so hopefully that first tank was a mathematical error.

4x2. I've heard stories too. 4x4's don't do so well.

You might want to read the oil filter section before consdering a factory Toyota filter. Several of them has been cut open and the internals weren't impressive. I like using Wix filters which can be bought at NAPA and O'Reilly.

For power steering fluid, pick any good synthetic transmission fluid that is compatible with Dexron III. One solution is to buy Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol Transmax Import Multi Vehicle, and use them in both the automatic transmission and power steering system.

I do not know what kind of fluid is needed in the differentials and the transfer case.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
My 15 Tacoma with the 4.0L gets 22-23. Mobil One EP 5W30 and Amsoil Severe Gear oil in the diff. Dont expect much.
It is heavy and the engine is good sized.

I have a 15 Tacoma TRD 4x4, and run Mobil1 EP 5W30, also. I have the 6-speed manual transmission, though. Amsoil in the diffs, and Redline GL4 in the transmission. I can get about 21-22 with it. Switching to synthetic gear oil maybe gave me 1 mpg.

Curious to know what your OCI is? I have been sticking to the 5k OCI for now, even with the synthetic, but will probably increase it once it is out of warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I have a 15 Tacoma TRD 4x4, and run Mobil1 EP 5W30, also. I have the 6-speed manual transmission, though. Amsoil in the diffs, and Redline GL4 in the transmission. I can get about 21-22 with it. Switching to synthetic gear oil maybe gave me 1 mpg.

Curious to know what your OCI is? I have been sticking to the 5k OCI for now, even with the synthetic, but will probably increase it once it is out of warranty.
Or The vehicle is fully is broke in

I'm also from north Alabama and have the same truck in a 2013 model. I run Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W-30 and a Napa Gold filter for 10,000 miles. The vehicle seems to like it just fine.

AFE 0W-30 is a good choice, there's no difference between it and a 5W-30 synthetic once they reach operating temperature. Only difference is cold flow performance, 0W will flow a tad bit faster than 5W on a cold start. The difference isn't huge, and where you live it'll never get cold enough to make a difference. I'd just run that current oil and filter out on the OLM and then change. Napa Golds are excellent filters and you shouldn't be losing any sleep over it.

Great choice in truck! Don't expect show-stopping gas mileage, I've got an 04 Tacoma and there's full size trucks out there matching or beating me in the mileage department. Tacoma's are pretty easy to please, keep up on maintaining them and they'll run forever. Keep that undercarriage and mainly the frame clean. Frame rust is a Tacoma killer, I lucked out and had mine replaced under warranty, but many people had to have their trucks scrapped or traded in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back