Finding fuel leak tips and tricks? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have a 2002 Toyota echo that's giving off the usual emissions engine codes,I suspect a lot of it may be caused by a fuel leak. I'm pretty good at working on cars but don't know much about emissions and fuel related stuff. Anyways I'm not seeing any visual signs but I notice when I fill the tank I smell fuel also think if the evap is working proper it may not vent proper . I will grab the codes again tomorrow and update as that may help someone be able to possibly point me in the right direction.

I'm guessing that you checked to ensure that the gas cap was tight? (the only time my 02 Echo threw a code was a loose gas cap)

A fuel leak would not normally throw a code, unless it's affecting fuel pressure, but the code would be related to fuel pressure, not emissions.
Knowing the code(s) would be best, but if it's for emissions and the fuel smell is present, then I would start with the evap system and the vacuum hoses. It doesn't sound to me like a fuel line leak.

OK got the codes ,I looked them up in the book and also did some research online, my big issue is I don't even know where to begin I don't wanna start throwing parts at it.

Here are the codes

P0420
P0440
P0441
P0446

Any help is appreciated,Thanks for reading

P0420 is catalytic converter below threshold. That means the front and rear sensors readings are too similar.

The other three codes are all evap codes. I'd start by checking all the vacuum hose routing. See if the charcoal canister smells of fuel. If everything looks right, i'd replace the fuel cap. Might also be a purge valve. Check for vacuum leaks.

If you solve the evap codes, then you can see if you do in fact have a catalytic problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back