MAF cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good-day
I had some problem over the last week with my car, today i got it scanned and the conclusion was that the MAF sensor was the problem....
Is there a chance that cleaning it will fix my problems (stalling, rough idle, bad MPG).
No check engine light though

Last edited:
Worth a try! Buy a $5 can of "Mass airflow sensor cleaner". Not sure on your configuration, but disconnect the sensor, Spray the MAF sensor (looks like several thin wires) a couple times. Let dry and put it back together. (MAF sensor is between the air filter and the throttle body.

Thanks will try cleaning
Yes there was problems with the PCV system a while back and there is an oil film in the air box all the way to the throttle body.

Last edited:
Yes. I would clean it. The CRC bottle is cheap insurance and it's a good preventative measure anyway.

I just cleaned my GMC Yukon MAF Sensor and Throttle Body today and it feels like a brand new truck. That carbon buildup can really cause problems.

The last time I cleaned my MAF with MAF cleaner spray, then I used brake cleaner on a q-tip and it seemed to clean more dirt off. You need to be careful and have a steady hand if you touch the MAF wires.

Clean the throttle body. If you have oil from the PCV system it will build up on the throttle plate not the MAF sensor. Won't hurt to the clean the MAF as well.

Last edited:
I used to get a CEL every year due to running a K&N air filter in a 3.4 Tacoma. The CRC MAF Sensor cleaner worked everytime. Don't touch the wire. Just spray a few times and let it air dry.

WalMart sells a TB & MAF Cleaner Combo for pretty cheap. Two birds with one stone.

(So besides me having to clean and re-oil the filter, clean the MAF, clear the CEL, all the while introducing more silica than necessary to the engine... was it worth it?)

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
I used to get a CEL every year due to running a K&N air filter in a 3.4 Tacoma. The CRC MAF Sensor cleaner worked everytime. Don't touch the wire. Just spray a few times and let it air dry.

WalMart sells a TB & MAF Cleaner Combo for pretty cheap. Two birds with one stone.

(So besides me having to clean and re-oil the filter, clean the MAF, clear the CEL, all the while introducing more silica than necessary to the engine... was it worth it?)

Good post and I would add that you can use a MAF cleaner for cleaing electrical contacts, BUT do not use cheaper contact cleaners to clean a MAF cos they are often contaminated with traces of varnish and that results in a sticky set of elements that will collect dirt and fail again.
The chances that a defective MAF can be cleaned are about 50/50, so when you consider the cost of an OEM standard replacement it's worth a try.

If the MAF sensor or connections fail in terms of signals that the ECU thinks are out of limits it results in limp home mode with most vehicles. That mode does not always give a CEL warning for some reason with older cars.

Last edited:
If I own a car for a few years and the mileage is getting high I tend to clean the sensors once a year. And the EGR if it's a diesel.

Certainly can't hurt in the OP's situation.

Worse thing that can happen is the MAF is now cleaner than it was before.

Last edited:
Where did you find somebody that knowledgeable who can tell you your problem are MAF related by just scanning your car? Mind you, I am not saying it is not possible, but it is rare to find such a talented person in real life.

My '97 Mercury Tracer wagon commuter car has a very picky MAF. My idle starts to get wonky and go all over the place every 3K miles or so. A few sprays of CRC MAF cleaner and she'll be fine for a while.

This all started when I installed a rockauto closeout Fram AirHog oil based air filter.

The CRC spray is good stuff and does its job.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
This all started when I installed a rockauto closeout Fram AirHog oil based air filter.

Is that air filter still in the car? I'd swap that out asap for a Fram Tough Guard air filter or an oem one.

No... It was removed after only a few thousand miles once I made the connection it was actually hurting performance. Been running Motorcrafts since then.

Just an update
After the cleaning the MAF it worked for a while(Some problems still existed) . Then later on in the day it died...so gonna get try to get a junkyard (USED) MAF

Bosch made a lot of the 90s Nissan MAF's. See if you can get one of those, brand new. it will be the reboxed OE part
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back