Vegemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goood evening. Wondering if my Australian friends and or European friends like Vegemite. Looks like it wouldn't be bad to try. Any folks here like it and or eat it?

Yeah, we use it a fair bit.

I have it on toast a couple times a week...sometimes grill cheese over it.

If I cook a stew, I add 1 tbsp into it, and it goes nicely in gravies.

As a kid, cheese and vegemite, or chopped lettuce and vegemite (latter with some butter) were school lunch staples.

I had some Vegemite on toast this morning and so did my son.

When you use it for the first time, butter first, and a thin layer of Vegemite as the flavour is strong. Most first time people put it on too thick and don't like it because it can be a bit too astringent.

I found this description, from the linked article, very apt:

At lunch, I developed a fondness for kiwi-fruit juice, which is exactly the opaque greenish-gray hue of Girling brake fluid. Then I tried to come to grips with the unlikely existence of Vegemite - concentrated yeast extract intended to be spread on toast and crackers. It is the consistency of peanut butter and the color of crankcase sludge. If you allowed bratwurst drippings to collect on your Weber grill, then mixed that with Bovril and, say, a quart of the residue scraped from the sump of an abattoir, you'd have Vegemite. I could understand it if this paste were useful as a defoliant. But that someone actually discovered it was edible is one of those wholly unlikely human undertakings, like the first optometrist who said, "I wonder what would happen if I put these small pieces of glass in my eye sockets?" or the first internist who said, "I bet a powerful stream of saline solution administered rectally would make me feel better." How do such things happen?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ilaviationals-romantics-across-new-zealand-in-a-can-opener

Having said that, I grew to quite enjoy Vegemite during our year in New Zealand.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What does it taste like?

Salty, bitter, yeasty, astringent.

Think black olive paste, but with less olive flavour and more yeasty or hoppy flavour. It's made from the scrapings of beer vats.

It is not sweet like jam. It is not oily like peanut butter. It is a non-fatty savory spread.

Very similar to Marmite, but some Aussies import their own.

Too salty for some, but can be used to flavour a beef soup or stew, although I prefer Bovril!

Last edited:
A good history of Vegemite here:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/VegemiteHistory.htm

Quote:
In 1939 Vegemite received endorsement from the British Medical Association which allowed doctors to recommend it as a Vitamin B-rich, nutritionally balanced food for patients.

Quote:
In World War II, soldiers, sailors, and the civilian population of Australia all had Vegemite included in their rations. Soldiers’ Vegemite came in three sizes: seven-pound tins for the platoon, eight-ounce tins for soldiers on the go, and half-ounce rations for behind enemy lines.

When I was in the army we still had Vegemite issued in the combat ration pack. It was in a small tube, like travel tooth paste. You spread it on your crackers, or just sucked it down hard as Fritz / Charlie / Ivan was coming over the wire. It's very high in vitamin B.

Originally Posted By: car51
Too bad we don't have it the U.S.A.

Have you heard of Amazon?
smile.gif

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vegemite

Originally Posted By: SR5
I had some Vegemite on toast this morning and so did my son.

When you use it for the first time, butter first, and a thin layer of Vegemite as the flavour is strong. Most first time people put it on too thick and don't like it because it can be a bit too astringent.

Too thick happened on my first try, despite warnings from Aussie friends. Too strong at first and when I figured out the right amount it was good.

Been wanting to try Vegemite for years. This thread just put me over the edge. Amazon order placed. (also got a bottle of Bovrite to try also).

The stuff looks and has the consistency of roofing tar. I really like salt but when I first tried Vegemite I thought it was very salty. The next day I tried some again and it tasted a little better. The next day I tried some and it tasted pretty good. The fourth day I ate some and decided it was the most delicious stuff I had ever tasted. I've been in love with it ever since and eat as much as I can afford.

Pretty expensive though so I get Marmite instead which is cheaper and, I think, tastes pretty much the same. Not sure if the purists from Oz would agree on that one or not.

Just looking at the description it appears to be extremely salty. I'm not fond of a lot of salt, so it's a safe bet that I'm not going to try it.

Tends to be a love it or hate it thing. Aussie kids grow up eating Vegemite sandwiches, Vegemite on toast, mum uses it in stews, etc., so our taste buds adapt early...friends from overseas usually hate it to start with, but after a few more goes, they're hooked. As for Vegemite vs Marmite, they're similar, but different, like Pepsi vs Coke. My usual lunch at work is toasted cheese and Vegemite sandwiches
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back