07 4Runner 1GR-FE recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 4Runner 4.0 V6 - Pushing 130k miles, doing 5k intervals. Manual recommends 5w30 SL or better.

It's my wife's car--8-10mi commutes, mostly short trips with an occasional highway trip. Mostly city driven.

Doesn't burn oil or leak, but it turns mighty f*cking black compared to my 5VZ-FE.

I've been running M1 HM (burning through stash), but I'm thinking of going for something different. I know it doesn't specify synthetic, but I've been thinking of keeping it synthetic due to short trips and whatnot.

Having said that, engine is pretty noisy (I know its a noisy engine) with M1, which I have noticed with other engines as well.

I've read that 1GR-FE was backspec'd for 5w20, but haven't found anything definitive.

Considering doing a full syn Magnatec 5w20 (if that's true), or doing PP 5w30, or even Castrol Edge 5w30.

I'm going to keep 5k OCIs due to short tripping, but anything else hold up better to shear in these conditions? Other thoughts I'm overlooking?

PP 5W-30 would be my choice. I stopped using M1 5W-30 several years ago because of 1) engine noise and 2) oil consumption issues that started at 50K miles. The high iron content in numerous UOAs was concerning.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: turnbowm
The high iron content in numerous UOAs was concerning.

Concerning how?

The high iron content (UOA) is coming from the engine. If it's not engine wear, where is it coming from?

The high iron content (UOA) is coming from the engine. If it's not engine wear, where is it coming from?

OK but what is "high" and how does that relate to absolute engine wear?

Is 20ppm too much? What about 40ppm? 80? 100? 300?

At what OCI? 5000 miles? 10,000 miles?

How much actual metal removal does 20ppm over a 6,000 OCI represent?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

OK but what is "high" and how does that relate to absolute engine wear?

Is 20ppm too much? What about 40ppm? 80? 100? 300?

At what OCI? 5000 miles? 10,000 miles?

How much actual metal removal does 20ppm over a 6,000 OCI represent?

Blackstone Labs has a large database and knows what the typical/average level is for the various metals for a given car, mileage and OCI. If iron content, for example, is 100ppm when average readings are 20ppm, this indicates abnormal wear in the iron/steel engine parts such as valvetrain or rings/cylinders.

As for "absolute" relationships, perhaps you should contact Blackstone Labs for more info.

I decided to standardize my T4R fleet with Valvoline ML 5w30. Thanks for the info y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back