Mi Box Android TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Walmart shopping for streamers, and I came across the Mi Box for $69. Was going to buy a Roku streaming stick for $49, but I am thinking this Mi Box would be worth the extra cash. I get two months of Sling TV from Walmart just for buying the streamer. And then in the Mi Box package there will be a $50 code for Sling TV, but I would have to prepay for three months of Sling TV service to use that code. I did read that it was best to use the Walmart Sling TV code first.

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mi-Box-Android-TV/54827138

It doesn't look like Mi Box supports Plex (or maybe I missed it), so that would be a deal breaker for me. But as long as it has all the apps that you need, I don't see why not.

Pretty sure it supports Plex. It supports side loading too, and Kodi can be down loaded from the Google app store. The Mi Box is considered a cheap alternative to the Nvidia Shield. It can't run games as good as the Shield of course, but the Shield is over $200. Mi Box does have Google Cast support.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Pretty sure it supports Plex.

You're probably right. Android TV supports Plex, so this device should, too.

I like that. We're pretty entrenched Roku users, primarily because other solutions don't always have access to updated apps. But this, being an Android device, should always have access to the latest via the Google Play store, right? You'd be able to update Netflix and Pandora and Amazon Prime video on this just like on any other Android device?

Okay, so it's actually not unlike other Android devices, then (where you have to jump through a few silly hoops to download the Amazon Prime video player). I bet you could technically side-load it onto the Mi, though.

Android for phones is different than Android for TV. From what I read so far, there is no Amazon app in the Android TV app store, but there is already a side load for it. I don't have the Mi Box yet, but I read all the apps can be moved around in order that is preferred, and even show side loaded apps too in the list, but it all requires another app.

If you do buy Mi Box or any streamer from Walmart, do it online to qualify for the free two months of Sling TV. I just ordered the Mi Box at Walmart.com for store pickup, so I will get to play around with it tonight.

Was super interested in the Mi Box for 4K. However YouTube reviews for 4K performance is disappointing. Both reviews I've seen from reputable sources were hoping that software updates may fix it, but in my experience, if 4k support if an afterthought then it'll rarely ever be smooth. The Mi Box appears to be borderline underpowered for 4K.

However, if you don't use 4K and are at 1080p then it's plenty. The only issue could be it's cost. Yes, it's $70, but the Roku 4 has been $80 on sale more frequently and Amazon nearly always price drops it's 4K Fire TV to $80 as well these holidays. Both the Roku 4 and Amazon Fire TV 4K are beefier. They're last years model, but are better for 4K overall. Also I absolutely hate Roku's WiFi remote. It spits out WiFi signal on the same channel as your WiFi essentially add noise. You can turn it off in their secret menu's leaving you using Roku's app as a remote.

Amazon wants you to use their device, doesn't make sense to me...as long you're buying their content what do they care what device you use?

I am kind of interested in this, but I think I am going to wait for the Chromecast Ultra that supports 4K. I like the simplicity of the cast devices, and I can just plug it into the side of the TV, no need for a box, remote and wires.

Been playing around with this Mi Box. I don't have a 4K TV yet. It blows away the the last generation Firestik. Amazon is supposed to release the new Firestik the on 10/20, so I can't say how it compares to that. This thing is very fast, and very fast with Kodi too.

What I know so far. Side loaded apps can be launched from the home screen by using voice, so no digging around for them. "Launch Kodi" from home screen with voice, and it opens instantly. Netflix can be launched from voice too. Still playing with it. Wish I did have a 4K TV, so I could see what's up, but for now it's very good in 1080.

The Mi Box has some good heft to it which surprised me. Thought it was going to be light as a feather, but that's not the case. Must be a lot of big heat sinks inside. Checked the CPU temperature with Kodi hardware check, and it said it was 58C. Box was just warm. Don't know how accurate the CPU temperature check is in Kodi. Firestik did not display the temperature, so I have no reference.

Only negative I have so far is that the cord length for the power brick is way too short. I did not measure it, but it's at least 18 inches shorter than the Firestik cord.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Amazon wants you to use their device, doesn't make sense to me...as long you're buying their content what do they care what device you use?

Amazon's strategy with their digital products is interesting. You're right -- as long as you're an Amazon subscriber and consuming Amazon content, you'd think they'd want to make it as EASY as possible to access it. It feels a lot like Apple. If you want to use their content, you better be on their hardware. (That's why I'm an Android user!)

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Amazon's strategy with their digital products is interesting.

I feel the same, but it's actually business. Last year, Amazon pulled selling Apple TV and Chromecast devices off their site. Amazon submitted their Amazon Prime Video app to Apple TV, but surprise! It never got approved. Luckily if you have an iPad or iPhone you still can use the Amazon app there and use AirPlay. It does not stream from your device to the Apple TV, the Apple TV will cast just as it would if the Amazon app was approved.

Oh well. Treat others the way you want to be treated Amazon.

Luckily for Amazon and Google, pulling Chromecast hasn't been a disaster. They still play nice with each other. Fire TV still has debugging mode available, so that is the entryway to installing Android TV or Kodi. Not sure if it's part of some sort of Android agreement, but at least those two still 'like' each other. More likely because Amazon Fire devices run Android.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: razel
Oh well. Treat others the way you want to be treated Amazon.

Right -- this is what I meant when I said that their strategy is "interesting". They've made a series of business decisions that I found curious, and probably just as likely to hurt them than help them. I guess only time will tell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back