Does Toyota have two different 0w-20 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was reading the owners manual on my new IS300. Under engine oils I see the following:

Engine oil selection (IS350/IS300)
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used
in your Lexus vehicle. Use Lexus
approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or
equivalent to satisfy the following
grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20

Engine oil selection (IS200t)
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil SAE 0W-20
for Direct Injection Turbo Gasoline
Engines” is used in your Lexus vehicle. Use Lexus approved “Toyota Genuine
Motor Oil SAE 0W-20 for Direct In
jection Turbo Gasoline Engines” or
equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil
SAE 0W-20 for Direct Injection Turbo
Gasoline Engines” or ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20

Two separate entries differentiating the v6 with the turbo 4. Any ideas of the differences?

This link contains an abstract of a paper about developing a Toyota/Idemitsu oil that helps prevent LSPI in DIT engines, and it mentions that the use of calcium-based detergents was minimized. Wish they made a 5W-30 version!
http://papers.sae.org/2014-01-2785/

"According to recent technical reports, auto-ignition of an engine oil droplet in a combustion chamber is believed to be one of major contributing factors of LSPI and its formulations have a significant effect on LSPI frequency. Toyota has reported that the oxidation stability of engine oil can be a dominant factor of its auto-ignition, which is a function of its base oil and additive components, of which an example was found that calcium-based detergents significantly increase LSPI frequency.Based on these findings, we have developed a new engine oil product which can reduce LSPI frequency to less than 10% of that of conventional ILSAC certified gasoline engine oils. High quality base oils (Group III, Group IV) and optimized additive components were formulated in which the amount of calcium-based detergent was reduced to levels lower than general ILSAC oils, and a sufficient amount of anti-oxidants were added."

Last edited:
Check the Castrol or Mobil oil finder pages of their web sites to see if it lists 2 different oils, then ask to see the drums in the dealership.

I don't like the idea of restricting the use of Ca detergents unless they are replaced with Mg based ones (I'm sure they are in the OEM oil), as it reduces the max OCI interval due to sludge and corrosion concerns.

Check the oil specs for your engine in Australia. Many different weights are advised. The 0w20 is a CAFE thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back