How to get white paint white again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an older white truck. The paint just looks dirty, but after washing and using Meguires Cleaner Wax, it didn't really get the look much whiter. I am thinking Clay Bar or compound? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Surf City Clayzilla from Walmart, the online price is lower than the in store price by $5 or so. Less than $20 and much better than traditional clay and lasts longer.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound, of course will be much easier and effective using a buffer.

Meguiars White Wax

You have to order this online but some Iron-X would be a great step before claying and after washing to decontaminate the paint. Available on www.autogeek.net .

Last edited:
Clay bar at a minimum, may need de-ironed, and a compound, then a polish. Lots of work and time though. Depends on how far you want to go.

I started a topic on caring for a white car here awhile back. Lots of great info there.

If the paint is just dirty (contaminants) a clay and polish will work very well. If the paint is swirled up, which it probably is, a compound and polish is what you want.

Thanks for the input guys. Paint is just dirty. Doesn't really have swirl marks since the PO said he only rinsed it on occasion. I'll start with some clay and polish and just do it in steps. I am not in any big hurry. If it takes me a few days, so be it. It just has what looks to be years of road grime that never got really washed off. The paint is more gray than white if that makes sense.

Sleddriver, any link to that thread you started? I'll look around. Thanks!

Older white truck, it's probably single stage paint that's oxidized, that's why it still looks dirty after your effort to make it clean. And it's almost guaranteed to have swirled up paint, you just can't see them since the paint is in such poor shape.

Ok sled, I found your thread. Thanks! Very helpful info. I didn't even think about getting a palm polisher. Great idea!

You are prolly right and this truck is far from a show truck and always will be. Just trying to make it look clean. Where are you located? I am in Oceanside.

Bring it to FastEddie if he's not too far away. Some Duragloss #501 would help to chemically clean. It was made for boats and Rvs.

LINK

Originally Posted By: bbslider001
You are prolly right and this truck is far from a show truck and always will be. Just trying to make it look clean. Where are you located? I am in Oceanside.

San Luis Obispo, Ca. A long way from Oceanside.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Bring it to FastEddie if he's not too far away. Some Duragloss #501 would help to chemically clean. It was made for boats and Rvs.

LINK

Putting 501 to the test again a few weeks back on some Toyota Single Stage white paint.
14468223_865716050195004_3428018722233547184_o_zpsduwvgk8f.jpg

14480562_865716090195000_1513222930169545885_o_zps3sr1qiq0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back