5S-FE Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the top timing belt cover be removed "without much grief"? The prior owner of my Camry said her mechanic inspected the belt and it didn't need replacement; so AFAIK it's belt rated for 90k (and 7 years?) that's gone 139k and 18 years. Before I drop some coin on a kit I'd like to check first--I know a good belt can fail if a roller fails, but if I see an obviously cracked belt then I know I need to do the job soon.

Also: what is a good kit? I know I want an Aisin water pump, and "good" bearings, but at the same time I don't want to spend $250 on an unknown car just yet--I'd like to get the kit and have on hand. I see this on Amazon, and piles on Ebay. I don't need the serpentine belt, supposedly don't need the thermostat either (recently replaced), but I'm guessing it won't hurt to have everything.

You'll likely need a shop manual for info on how to align the cam and crank drive gears with the belt after changing it. It would also be wide to change the crank and cam seals and loook closely at the oil pump for leaks. You cannot do all of that just by taking off the top cover.

See if Aisin sells a kit for your car, the one for my car includes the Aisin water pump, Koyo tensioners and a Mitsoboshi belt.

Edit: I went and looked on the Aisin Aftermaket site and it's not the same for your car. They sell a kit but don't appear to list who makes the components.

Yeah, I planned on doing the seals, apparently the oil pump one likes to die, at least old seals, and make a massive oil leak (go figure, it's under pressure).

The kit I linked has a Contitech belt?

Rockauto sells an Aisin Kit (#TKT-003) for about $100 that has most of the items you need. I would definitely real all of the oil deals when doing this job and also install new drive belts. Please get the oil seals from the dealer.

Also check Ebay, there are a few good seller sells the kit with all the seals (cam and oil).

The one that usually goes bad is the oil pump seal.
If it starts leaking, it can take the timing belt with it.
IIRC, the Camry is non-interference so the timing belt trouble will not be catastrophic.

Also, IIRC, you cannot just take the upper cover without taking the lower cover.
I can be wrong, though. It has been a while. You can check Youtube for that.

Last edited:
It isn't too bad to remove the upper cover. Strut mount might be in the way, you have to remove it to replace the timing belt too. My 97' Camry had the original timing belt on it when I bought it at 16 years old and 185k miles. Was horribly fracked, probably about to break. Luckily non-interference.

My car currently has a Gates timing belt kit on it (there's a sticker under the hood saying when it was changed).

Here's a Gates kit for $72, just checked and it's the same part number as on Rock Auto

Link

You can get a GMB kit for about $50 on ebay, thought I would go Aisin. Gates is just chinese junk reboxed. Not worth the money.

If memory serves on the 5sfe you might need to pull the motor mount bracket to get the upper timing cover off. The 5sfe is NOT an interference engine. So if the belt breaks you'll be stranded but the motor will be ok.

Make sure to get the OEM oil pump seals. They need to be changed with the timing belt, and oem works way better for this.

And Aisin is the ONLY kit I would use.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Camry Timing Belt Kit

That's what you want; Asian kit with a Mitsuboshi belt. Add the cam seal and tensioner spring in for another 20 bucks (both are listed as Frequently Bought Together with the timing belt kit).

Took a bit of reading but the reviews indicate it comes with required gaskets. Ok, will order that, and some Frewdenburg-Nok seals.

Not sure what the spring does; cheap enough to replace. I *think* it tensions the belt prior to torquing the bolt on the tensioner; I'm guessing over time that spring will still pull on that pulley, and over time that pulley can tighten up, if need be? Dunno--will just replace.

Going to OEM seals gets me to about $139, instead of Frewdenburg-Nok (but they are the same price). This $180 kit has t-stat and VC gaskets too.

Timing Belt Mitsuboshi or Bando
Water Pump Aisin
Drive Belts Bando
Tensioner Koyo
Idler Koyo
Seals Stone
Gasket set Ishino
Thermostat Motorad
Spring Toyota

Getting back to this.

Does the tension spring need to be replaced? I'm trying to come up with a complete set of parts required for this job.

The spring doesn't need replacing and I didn't - although some do.

If you search, you will find many threads and youtube video's that will give you detailed instructions on the job. If you wish to private email an email address I may have a file of notes that could be helpful.

You can get enough oil on the timing belt from bad seals to make it jump some cogs even if it doesn't break. But, it's not going going to cause a piston valve collision. I just got a deal on a "used" Asin oil pump kit from Amazon..used meaning repacked, nothing missing. It went on a 235K Gen 4 which we knew was leaking an annoying but small amount. Now with 5W - 30 Mobil 1 it has not used a drop in 1500 miles. Rings, bearings, all the other seals, still OK. Cam seals were previously replaced as a precaution at last timing belt replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cressida
The spring doesn't need replacing and I didn't - although some do.

That right there says I need to replace it. Not going to tear it apart and then wait a week for the spring to finish the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back