Should I or shouldn't I start maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for enterprise rental car and one of my favorite cars to drive around is the versa note. Surprisingly roomy and very practical. I also like the non note versa.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: FranklinJL
Dude your rolling a versa....it doesn't matter

Yeah, save you money, don't spend it on snake oils and you'll have more money for the next nicer car.
+1

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I work for enterprise rental car and one of my favorite cars to drive around is the versa note. Surprisingly roomy and very practical. I also like the non note versa.

Eh those CVT's bring life into that 1.6L engine.

The only thing I do with mine is use Kendall with Ti, and top tier gasohol. I rarely wash it, but I do keep the inside clean.

Last edited:
Buy a bottle and run it . See if you notice a difference . If so keep on Running the additive.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
+1; I guess since it isn't an expensive car, no need to maintain it. He can just go out an buy something else when this breaks, after, of course, being crucified on BITOG for not maintaining it.

Using a fuel additive is maintenance? Am I not maintaining my vehicles properly by not using it?

What is your point in asking?

Originally Posted By: wemay

How this helps the OP i have no idea.

+1; I guess since it isn't an expensive car, no need to maintain it. He can just go out an buy something else when this breaks, after, of course, being crucified on BITOG for not maintaining it.

Maintaining it means following the manufacturer recommendations. With few exceptions, manufacturers typically don't recommended any snake oils. I think about the only thing they might recommend is Techron in the gas. There are very few cars that last longer because additives were used. My last car lasted over 200k without using any snake oils.

Manufacturers spend billions designing engines and have hundreds if not thousands of engineers working on them. If any of it really worked, they'd recommend it because then their engines would last longer than the competition. They only sell snake oils because people buy them. They sell pet rocks and chia pets too.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Maintaining it means following the manufacturer recommendations. With few exceptions, manufacturers typically don't recommended any snake oils. I think about the only thing they might recommend is Techron in the gas. There are very few cars that last longer because additives were used. My last car lasted over 200k without using any snake oils.

Manufacturers spend billions designing engines and have hundreds if not thousands of engineers working on them. If any of it really worked, they'd recommend it because then their engines would last longer than the competition. They only sell snake oils because people buy them. They sell pet rocks and chia pets too.

Maybe true for engine oil; however I don't think you can make the same statement for fuel; as there are equally billion dollars spent trying to optimize the cost of fuel to maximize profit for the oil industries.

There are such things as dirty fuel injectors, and the engineers you laud considered it normal maintenance. As a counterpoint; certain engines with DI vehicles and carbon issues contradict that the engineers are perfectionists. Instead they are humans that have to balance pros/cons.
The only vehicle where you can make such a statement is perhaps a electic where there is no traditional fuel.

It is definitely in Service Manuals as well as some owner's manuals to run fuel injector cleaner and top end cleaners, so much so that certain brands even relabel and rebrand it as a genuine part (e.g. "BMW" fuel injector cleaner "GM" top end cleaner, audi/vw injector cleaner). So indeed the Engineers do sometimes see it is an issue

Last edited:
No typo on the mileage.

Already will be using top tier fuel. Will need to decide if adding a fuel additive before oil changes will be beneficial for the car.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Because it is the best advice he received in the thread so far. Its a brand new car that's been sitting on the lot for 2 years. Id be more worried about the gas in the tank. And the charge of the battery.

Put gas in it. Change the oil per the manual. Nothing more, nothing less.

Advice not to use fuel additives is fine. Implying that it doesn't matter because it's a Versa is different.

Originally Posted By: jahwarrior1423
No typo on the mileage.

Already will be using top tier fuel. Will need to decide if adding a fuel additive before oil changes will be beneficial for the car.

If this is the case I'd say no. Some additives may have their place for a car that hasn't used top tier, and are high mileage. But for such a new car running top tier from the start you should be more than covered. For something that has sat for awhile like this, I would consider changing the fuel filter sooner, but that would be personal preference.

Check the owner's manual. The manual for my Sentra explicitly states that "Nissan does not recommend the use of any aftermarket fuel additives... which are sold commercially." It's not a DI engine, so there probably is no benefit to using additives.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
More interesting story is the OP got a 2 year old car with 125 miles unless it's a typo.

You shouldn't need to have to do any preventative maintenance if you are using good fuel.

That being said, my personal experience and usage is redline si-1 is beneficial. It often does make engines and butt dyno feel like it runs smoother, but I attribute this to having UCL and not specifically due to the cleaning... So after the treated tank runs out, by the 2nd tanks of untreated gas, it'll lose that smoothness.

If you're really itching, you can go ahead and just try it along the lines of every oil change. There is little downside, just keep your mind open that it might not have anything to clean and it does nothing.

Given the Versa has a small tank, and redline is pretty potent; you could divide a bottle of redline into two or four doses worth of treatment (but a bit of a pain to dose unless you have another empty redline bottle that you can use to portion it out to). So this is not tooo expensive an experiment to make your gut feel better.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back