Miter Saw Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a good quality miter saw. I haven't done much wood work in the past, but when I have, it has always been with hand saws or circular saws.

Anyway, I spent a few hours tonight looking at sliding 12" miter saws. I'm pretty sure I want a sliding one as it gives you a lot more versatility for cutting wide pieces.

If the goal of this purchase is to get a tool that can be used to make precise cuts in wood without taking up a lot of space, is a miter saw pretty much the go to tool? I want to be able to do everything from building furniture to laying floors to making bird houses. I know that a table saw is better suited for lengthwise cuts, but it is my understanding that table saws are an entirely different game, so I'll tackle those at a later time.

I've found that having both a table and miter saw is great.

But, I use the miter saw much more often. It's essential when doing decking or flooring. You're on the right track.

Check out Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding magazine comparison tests. Professionals evaluating the tools. My Makita 10" slide compound miter saw is 15 years old and a great tool. Reliable, precise, easy to use.

But I'm certain that the new ones are even better.

As mentioned look for reviews online.

I went with a DeWalt 12 sliding miter saw with the free stand. I figured it will be the last miter saw that I will ever need to purchase. DeWalt has since come out with a 10 inch sliding miter saw too.

Last edited:
I bought a Power Miter Saw in 1997.
Dewalt .... 12" .... Paid $324

As a home owner, I could not live without it today.
I have made:
*) Birdhouses (many, many)
*) Small Oak Cabinet with 21 drawers
*) Pencil Holders
*) 2x4 Bridging in Basement (joists)
*) Wheel Chair Ramp
*) Hand-Railing
*) Stairs with Hand-Railing
*) etc

I would also suggest you own a Drill-Press
For way to many years I kneeled on the floor using my Power Hand-Drill
I ended up buying a Ryobi at Home Depot.

I also have a Table Saw that's very handy.

Last edited:
A miter saw has it's place, and it can do a lot. For a lot of users it may well be the only real stationary saw they ever need. However, as you mentioned, there are things other stationary saws can do that aren't well suited to do on a miter saw.

A good miter saw on a good miter saw stand with material supports can do quite a bit. Your miter saw stand is just as important as your miter saw.

Also keep in mind that a larger saw needs a larger blade which costs more money. When I did my bamboo floor I needed to buy a 96 tooth Freud blade that wouldn't cause chipping.

Those blades aren't cheap in Canada, that blade cost me close to $100 CDN.

I have both Makita blades and a Forrest blade for the miter saw. Makita 10" blades run about $80. The Forrest was over $100 but makes perfect cuts. I mean, perfect. Glass smooth. No runout, no tear out, just a perfect smooth cut. The Makita factory blades are excellent and cut well, but the Forrest is a whole different animal.

For carpentry or general Woodworking, the Makita blades are great. Nice smooth cuts. For truly fine craftsmanship and precision, you might want to step up to the Forrest.

My brother was enrolled in a vocational carpentry program in high school. He buys a house, fixes it up as he lives in it, sells it and does another. He loves his new Dewalt and gave me his Craftsman Contractor series, expecting me to make use of it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

A good miter saw on a good miter saw stand with material supports can do quite a bit. Your miter saw stand is just as important as your miter saw.

I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly with this. I like my Hitachi miter saw, but I love my Delta miter saw stand. Solid, simple and useful. Cool color scheme too.

I have a 10" miter saw and I would buy a 12" miter saw if I were to do it again.

I bought a hitachi 10" many years ago based upon high recommendations. No complaints and it has been by far, my most useful saw. The reviews for the model are now a little lower (4/5 stars), but it has been great for me and very exact.

I just bought a high-ish end table saw, but I doubt that my miter saw will be used much less... Its still very useful.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I bought a hitachi 10" many years ago based upon high recommendations. No complaints and it has been by far, my most useful saw. The reviews for the model are now a little lower (4/5 stars), but it has been great for me and very exact.

I just bought a high-ish end table saw, but I doubt that my miter saw will be used much less... Its still very useful.

Hate to hijack the thread, but which table saw did you get?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Hate to hijack the thread, but which table saw did you get?

Dewalt 7491RS. High-ish end... Found one with an open box and a little scratch on the side of the table, so got 10% off at Lowes, on top of other discounts I had. I like it and its good enough for now. If I want to do greater stuff, Ill buy a real cast iron cabinet saw, but they're just so big and bulky and my skills don't match yet...

Got this one because of the nice rack and pinion fence, the wide ripping capability, and the fact that it uses real 3/4" T-track so anything I buy now would be usable and transferrable. Lots of lower end ones just have a 3/4" rectangular slot.

Consider something like this:

I don't have one but if I were to start over with woodworking, I would. Much safer and versatile than most other setups.

A professional carpenter at my job cut his hand pretty bad with a miter saw not that long ago. These are quite dangerous so be careful with whatever you buy.

I have the original Dewalt 12" compound miter saw. Not sure if they made a slider or not when I bought mine. CMS's are very handy for cutting boards to length, cutting miters of any angle and compound miters in two perpendicular planes. You can also easily cut PVC pipe, copper and aluminum with the proper blades.

However, you also need to budget for a good stand or else build one. Using one on the floor is no fun. Putting it on your bench takes up valuable bench space. You also need wings if working with long boards for proper & safe support. Fine Homebuilding did a test of chop-saw stands years ago. I think Mike Guertin reviewed them. I built my own with wheels on the base and foldable wings. Still use it today.

A table saw is much more versatile but also much more dangerous, especially for a beginner. It's use just demands respect. You never want to turn one on when you're having a bad day or in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back