Costco Tire Purchase - No Odometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Michelins for the minivan from Costco in 2013. They need rotating, so I pulled the receipt from the glovebox, and noticed that Costco never noted the odometer reading upon purchase. The odometer field on the receipt is just blank. I checked everywhere on the receipt, and the mileage simply isn't there.

I have a routine maintenance receipt from a year prior to the tire purchase showing about 58k miles, and two years after showing about 85k.

The tires have a 90k mile warranty, so I am concerned (and annoyed) about what I feel is Costco's omission.

Are the receipts that book-end the tire purchase reasonable enough to interpolate mileage for the basis of any warranty claims? Not sure what my rights are here.

I might suggest that asking them what their policy is, given the circumstances, might be more effective than asking people on a forum to speculate.

fsdork's advice is likely the best. Ask 'em nicely.

You may have a bunch of responsibilities to provide proof for any mileage claim.

Not having "square one" sounds [censored]. That goes double in the vague "mileage warranty" world.

Those baddies might claim you need alignments even if your tires wore evenly.

The "70,000 mile" Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity tires I bought wore out at 51,000.

I'm not sure what your rights are either but I'd bet you have effectively none. Kira

You should be able to come with some other documents that bracket the mileage when the tires were installed. It could be oil change receipts, car inspections or other maintenance actions, emissions, etc. Your car's insurance policy has you estimate mileage each year. A track record of being consistent for a number of years should be enough.

You don't have any idea when those tires were replaced? That's something many of us remember. How many miles did that last set of tires last? That's all part of the Bitog mentality. My last tires lasted 52K-54K....and were the OEM ones....so 20K on the current set. And I'm sure I could dig up a post from several years back here with the exact mileage.

I'd go with a reasonable story and some documentation and discuss it with the tire or general manager. See if they will note it on the receipt or document it another way (perhaps in their computer system).

Then you at least have some starting point. The good thing with Costco is that you may well see the same employee there in two years as you did that day...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I never rotate tires; that way the back tires never wear out and all I have to do is replace the front tires.

I have an 01 Tundra that I do this. Except BFG discontinued the AT KO's. Now the rear has AT KO2's and the AT KO's that were in the rear were moved up front. Prior to that it had AT KO's and rubbish Rugged Trails. It's gonna be another 4-5 years until the truck finally has matched tires lol.

When I bought 4 new tires for my Silverado at Costco I just took advantage of Costco's free tire rotation/balance, food samples, and fool around in the electronics section every 5,000mi to ensure even wear. I wished they had free coffee though.

You got free tire rotations with the tires? Go take it in for a rotation. I don't see what the dilemma is about 'your rights.' Was a this some shady move by 'the man' to keep you from getting your tires rotated?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Was a this some shady move by 'the man' to keep you from getting your tires rotated?

I think he's concerned that it could be difficult to use the tread life warranty to pro-rate a set of new tires in the future based on the life of his current set because there's no initial mileage noted at the time of installation.

I think it's a valid concern. And I think the correct response is to ask them politely about it.

I assume you know how many miles a month you drive. Should be easy to compute about how many miles are on the tires.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
The tires have a 90k mile warranty, so I am concerned (and annoyed) about what I feel is Costco's omission.

Wouldn't it make more sense to talk to them first before you get yourself worked up over something that may be easily solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back