used vehicle purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove up to the Texas/OK border on Friday and picked up a 11 Hyundai Sonata GLS. 30k miles and absolutely beautiful. Looks like a brand new car, even the suspension components have original stickers on them from the factory. Zero corrosion, nothing. Dealer put new toyo tires on it, with 640 tread rating. Drove it home 4 hours, and got 28mpg driving 80-90mph. Very impressive.

Traded in a Rav4 with 100k miles on it, and got a pretty good deal.

This is my first car with Direct Injection. I have been doing a bit of reading on the subject. Some owners have put catch cans on the PCV to get the sludge before it hits the intake. I read a lab study that the deposits occur from lubrication, not PCV, and not fuel.

Hyundai recommends a 3750 mile oil change using 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30. I am going to run Chevron Supreme 10w30 with OEM filters every 3750 miles. It's hot in Texas most of the year anyways.

Weird to me running 10w30 in a late model car, but this engine is susceptible to fuel dillusion isues, so I will keep fresh oil in it.

I feel dumb, I am having trouble using the dipstick in this car. Can not get a good read when hot, I will try when stone cold and see if I can get a read on it. Want to get the dealer bulk oil out of there, with the unknown jobber filter, as hyundai has had issues with non oem filters.

Color is pearl tricoat, and I have wanted a pearl car forever, so finally got one. Can not believe how nice the paint is on a reasonably economy car. Has blue and silver metallic in the paint. Paint Has a few chips, I have ordered the Dr. Chip chip system to fix the paint chips.

Got the car home, the paint needed zero correction, so I just hand waxed it with nufinish. Car will stay very nice, I park in the garage at home, and a garage at work. Car will rarely even get wet.

Very nice car sir
smile.gif

So the 2011 owners manual says OCI of 7500miles or 12 months.

Or you are following the severe service schedule?

Originally Posted By: Rand
So the 2011 owners manual says OCI of 7500miles or 12 months.

Or you are following the severe service schedule?

Severe service lists many conditions that I would consider to be normal service, I will follow the severe service because oil is cheap.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
3700 mile factory recommended oci on such a new car? What's with that?

Its the severe service OCI.

I'd probably run a good 5w30 full syn and change when convenient within the the regular OCI.

Texas isnt exactly hard on oil like short tripping during winter in the frozen north.

Check dipstick when cold. Thoroughly wipe it off and then install. Only read once. Further readings will be inaccurate.
If the dipstick is dark. Take fine sandpaper and make the end shiny. Makes a huge difference.

But why follow the OCI when you are using the wrong oil? No reason not to use 20 wt. Just an opinion.

Looks great Justin! To me they've put a lot of thought into this car to compete and maybe even go beyond the Camry and Accord in some aspects. I'm assuming is a 4cyl and not V6? Which transmission? Is it serviceable?

Best of luck with your new ride.

MAKE YOUR OWN GOOD LUCK
Don't drink and drive.
Don't text while driving.
Don't pick-up hitchhikers carrying bloody hatchets.
Don't run over armadillos with your car (it louses up the alignment).
Don't leave bags of garbage in your car in the hot Sun.

Do you get the balance of the Hyundai 10 year/100,000 mile warranty or is that to the original purchaser only?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Best of luck with your new ride.

MAKE YOUR OWN GOOD LUCK
Don't drink and drive.
Don't text while driving.
Don't run over armadillos with your car (it louses up the alignment).
Don't leave bags of garbage in your car in the hot Sun.

Do you get the balance of the Hyundai 10 year/100,000 mile warranty or is that to the original purchaser only?

It's my understand the Hyundai warranty only goes out to 50 or 60 thousand for the second purchaser.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Looks great Justin! To me they've put a lot of thought into this car to compete and maybe even go beyond the Camry and Accord in some aspects. I'm assuming is a 4cyl and not V6? Which transmission? Is it serviceable?

Transmission has a drain and a fill plug. Does not look like a fun job to me. I have seen DIY's online, looks like a mess to do it at home. For a vehicle like this I will have it flushed every 50k.

Yep 2.4L 4 cylinder, 200HP.

Some of the interior fit and finish items are cheesy, but for $10k I'd say a nice buy. Has XM radio, bluetooth, handsfree cell phone, etc, etc.

I really like the Sonatas, want to get one someday.

The 2011s have issues with metal debris in the engine, there's an extended warranty on the engine. I believe they put in a longer dipstick too.

Originally Posted By: Al
Check dipstick when cold. Thoroughly wipe it off and then install. Only read once. Further readings will be inaccurate.
If the dipstick is dark. Take fine sandpaper and make the end shiny. Makes a huge difference.

But why follow the OCI when you are using the wrong oil? No reason not to use 20 wt. Just an opinion.

Fill cap says 5w20.

Owners manual lists 3 oil grades as appropriate. 5w20, 5w30, 10w30.

Just purchased 5w30 chevron supreme on amazon for $11, and some OEM filters and washers. I will sample it at 3750 miles, and I'd bet I can be safe to run it longer than that.

Just want to get a baseline as to if I have any fuel in the oil, etc..

JustinH: sounds like you have a good plan. We used Safety Kleen "ECO POWER" oil in those when we had them and went 4,500 miles on them without issues. Stick with OEM filter also

Nice car! You did great for $10K for sure, hope you don't experience the bearing failure caused by flashing material left from the manufacturing process. Warranty was extended I believe.

Love the pearl color. Thats probably a good pick on mileage and age, as the car got used, but not too much, yet is old enough for a decent depreciation.

I too would love a pearl car, love that look/coloring.

Good luck!

Is that more of a guideline? or a rule?
What if the hitchhiker (with a bloody hatchet) is very attractive?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27

Is that more of a guideline? or a rule?
What if the hitchhiker (with a bloody hatchet) is very attractive?

I guess it depends if you're male or female.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2di69FmhE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back