Firearms and Salespersons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the pro shop of my local gun range recently and there was a guy talking to one of the employees about different pistols. My attention was captured when they began talking about a Glock 19 (as I am a recent owner) and the potential customer noted the prices were about $125 cheaper at a local sporting goods store. The employee proceeded to tell the potential customer that was because the Glock sold at the local sporting goods store do not have the same internal parts as the ones sold in the pro shop and thus the reason for the price difference. He went on to say the “version” sold at local sporting goods store had “green” parts in it (whatever that is).

At this point, I was compelled to ask if the pro shop Glocks had custom parts in them. The response was no, they are the standard parts from Glock, but he mentioned they did have some which were customized. When I asked for a clarification of how the parts between the two (sporting goods version versus pro shop), were different and thus justified the $125 difference he could not give me a clear explanation. I then interjected that Glock was not making a “special cheaper” version of the pistol for the local store, they produce the same pistol for everyone unless there is a custom order. The Glocks in the local sporting goods store were not labeled “Made by Glock for ”, they all came off the same assembly line.

From my point of view, this is a typical salesperson tactic, much like a computer salesperson attempting to sell a customer a low speed or low quality computer stating they could learn on this one and upgrade later. Being in the IT world, I have tripped up many a BestBuy employee by telling the customer to purchase the fastest computer they can afford at the time because the faster model will do everything the slower one can—only faster.

While I did not tell the pro shop customer what to do or that the salesperson was wrong/lying, the customer drew his own conclusion from the conversation. What would you have done in this instance?

I would have kept my mouth shut, minded my own business, and continued on with my life being an informed customer that knows how to get a good deal for myself.

I usually try really hard to stay out of this kind of malarky that doesn't involve me unless there is some real harm about to be done... I'm not above breaking out in laughter though.

I find that if you try to correct all the stupidity in the world, you'll never have time for anything else...

Originally Posted By: splinter
Lots of salesmen and people lie with alarming regularity.

You ran across another one.

You're giving too much credit. The guy probably believed what he was saying. Folks working at gun stores are notoriously uninformed on worldly things.

I think you did good. Question without being rude, make it clear that it's likely not the case without calling names or being a jerk about it, and if the buyer is too stupid to question further, then it's their money...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
What would you have done in this instance?

Minded my own business. It wasn't your conversation and you simply butted in where you weren't wanted. A little common sense would tell anyone that a "pro" shop is going to be more expensive than a mass merchandising box store, even where sporting goods are sold. If the "customer" you chased away wanted to make a purchase without a busy body butting in, he/she should have been allowed to do so, even if it meant spending an additional $125.

Being in the IT world, I have tripped up many a BestBuy employee by telling the customer to purchase the fastest computer they can afford at the time because the faster model will do everything the slower one can—only faster.

Is this some sort of hobby of yours?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Minded my own business. It wasn't your conversation and you simply butted in where you weren't wanted. A little common sense would tell anyone that a "pro" shop is going to be more expensive than a mass merchandising box store, even where sporting goods are sold. If the "customer" you chased away wanted to make a purchase without a busy body butting in, he/she should have been allowed to do so, even if it meant spending an additional $125.
You are assuming (as you tend to do) that I "chased the customer away". I only asked questions and moreover, it was for my education as much as anything else. I was fairly certain there was no difference between the pistols, but I could have been wrong. When the employee could not explain the difference in any coherent way, my suspicions were confirmed.

Being in the IT world, I have tripped up many a BestBuy employee by telling the customer to purchase the fastest computer they can afford at the time because the faster model will do everything the slower one can—only faster.
Is this some sort of hobby of yours?
Not in the slightest, but I detest liars and those who try to profit at another's expense. Many people who go into a store like BestBuy are trusting the "computer tech" to give factual information, not sell them last year's computer at this year's prices.

A little common sense would tell anyone that a "pro" shop is going to be more expensive than a mass merchandising box store, even where sporting goods are sold.

Then that is what the salesperson should have told the customer. It would have been the truth. Not make up some cock and bull story how his competition is selling pistols with "inferior parts" cheaper. All in some half assed attempt to get him to spend an extra $125.00.

I would FOR SURE be buying guns and ammon RIGHT NOW....

The return possibilities are too great! Next year could be another expanded assault weapons ban and you could be getting DOUBLE the price for your firearms.

I expect prices to rise right after November the 8th, BIG LEAGUE. Ammo shortages will arise....

Last edited:
I wouldn't have said a word but would've chuckled a bit as I walked away. If someone wants to buy a pig in a poke without doing their homework that's up to them.

Hogwash. A "pro" shop implies that one perhaps is paying a premium for superior advice. Not the fallacy of a superior product that isn't really, given by people who supposedly are "pros" so they have more accurate knowlwedge. If it were true, OK, but common sense here indicates that it isn't.

I like it when some bloviator "salesperson' tells a potential customer that Consumer Reports is "rigged".

Last edited:
I thought of that too. Wasn't true about any motor oil and isn't true about any weapon.
If the salesman were at all quick-thinking, he would have replied that none of the big box stores could throw in free range time with every purchase. This could have easily been offered to the prospective buyer.
The marginal cost of range time is nil and this ad hoc offer could have justified the higher purchase price.
Trying to denigrate nationally branded merchandise when sold by a competitor is a fool's gambit.

I say you did well. I'd be the first one to call out a liar. Too much of this Bull going on in the world. Call them out!

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I say you did well. I'd be the first one to call out a liar. Too much of this Bull going on in the world. Call them out!

Exactly, my same thoughts.

I have only purchased one firearm from a major retailer, everything else has been from local establishments. I know I pay more, but at the one, I know everyone that works there pretty well. I walk in and get greeted royally. Plus my mom feels super comfortable in there which says a lot about a gun store. I can pretty much use their range whenever I want. They will throw in freebies whenever I buy a firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back