Snow Tires and RIMS... pretty difficult... really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm not a fan of traction control in the winter either.

Me either. I usually have mine off in my truck. Although it might be nice if it was on, once moving; but often it just impedes getting going.

My Camry though has no issue, even with all seasons. Go figure. Actually, it's probably because the truck has VSC turned up to 11; that has to be turned off in addition to TC.

I can't disable the stability control on the Focus, only traction control. I've lost a battle or two with a steep hill over that one. As soon as it thinks it's sliding sideways it cuts power and starts playing with the brakes.

That's a bummer. I think arco(?) indicated that if the TPMS light was on (system in fault) then TC couldn't be disabled on his Fit. IIRC. Thankfully I can disable TC and VSC on my truck, although it's a pain, and I've thought of making a widget to automate it for me. It requires me to be stopped, then I push the button once, then a long press on the button (>3sec), then a third long press. For whatever moronic reason, first press is TC off, second (long) press is TC on and electronic slip on (aka, use rear brakes to control wheelspin), third (long) press turns off everything. No clue how it works on my Camry, as it just hasn't had a problem--it just goes through the snow with a minimum of fuss.

Actually I wonder if VSC is working on my Camry. When we had the Michelin Primacy's on it, it would dart sideways w/o any indication of slippage. Maybe it's turned down to 1 (as opposed to 11 on my Tundra).

I found a set of OEM alloys cheap ($200) on a local car forum, and a friend got a set with snows on them (they were fairly worn, but functional) for the same price from craigslist. They aren't perfect, but certainly good enough for the snow.

dedicated snow tyres are by far better than all season but winter tyres!! use 4 + narrower is better, talk to a pro about -1 sizing or read about it on-line. lots of options, but some wear very fast due to their softer rubber, research + decide!!

Just ordered my 5th of generation Blizzaks for my 2012 Camry using 2015/65-16's in place of the OE 215/55-17 summers, going on the OE 01 wheels off a car I bought new 15 years ago. I found the magic of Blizzaks in 1996 with the WS-15's, which IMO were the best, after using every model Blizzack since.

Last edited:
It's easy to mix & match wheels & tires on eBay. Research what you want, then look for a reputable seller with fresh stock. You can buy one of anything or a set of four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back