What's the oldest gas you have driven with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always read how today's gas goes bad after just a few months. Well, I've got a car in storage that I have only taken out for a few miles every two years for emissions inspections. Checking my service log, I see the last time I put gas in it was November 12 2006. Premium if it matters. It seems to run fine on 10 year old gas. Anybody else have older gas they've driven on?

When I took the 96 out of storage over a year ago, it had been sitting for about 18 months... with out ANY proper storage precautions. With a jump start it fired up just fine and ran strong through the remaining 1/2 tank of 87 octane. Of course, I filled with premium + a can of gumout AIO before the 12hr trip home
smile.gif

Have a 78 Triumph Spitfire that started right up on 30 year old gas after a carb cleaning.
Octane must have done down quite a bit, as it would keep running for a few seconds after the ignition was shut off
laugh.gif

In 1998 I was running out of gas and headed towards an old gas station about a mile and half down the road from where I lived. The station had closed about 7-8 yrs earlier. I pulled in and a guy came out. I told him I was sputtering and pretty much out of gas. He was cool and turned the old pump on. I put in I guessed $20 worth and tried to give him a $20. He would only take a $10. The gas in there had to have been at least 7-8 yrs old. The Ford Probe ran pretty much just fine on it. I was very grateful to that nice fella for helping me out. It was the last time I ran out of gas.

Some personal experience. Several years ago, when gas was $4-$5 a gal., and most stations were out, I drained all the gas in my backyard stash of parts/project cars. Some had been stored for 8-10 years. All the gas was good except for one, a 1988 that had a bad gas cap. I got about 27 gal. Later when that was used up, I went to my friendly J/Y and asked to salvage gas from his lot, he said "sure, when I crush a car, I have to pull the gas tank and salvage the gas and dispose of it." I asked what he did with it? He dumped it in a 55gal. bbl and when it was full he called a recycler and had it picked up. I asked, can I have the gas, he said "sure, just don't spill it". I went out in back and sure enough, there was an open top barrel with who knows what was in it? Gas, oil, rain water, leaves and whatever else falls in.
lol.gif

I had an old battery with me and I think 5 or 6, 5 gal. cans. With old mopars, I just hook up the battery, hook up a pressure fitting to the FI test port, pull the start relay and jumper the run pins, The fuel pump kicks on and pumps the tank dry. In each case, the gas was clear and good to use. It appears that with modern sealed fuel tanks, the gas stays good for a long time.

I did that several times.. Must have got more then 100 gallons that summer. Every couple of weeks, I'd bring a cold 6/pack to the shop, just before quiting time. One time I needed a part and they didn't have the right model car so the mechanic drove me to another yard on his lunch hour. I bought a sack if burgers for every one in the shop on the way back.

thumbsup2.gif

So I have a car sitting for 8 months, cannister deleted with an untaped hose. Should I drain or just start and go? The system is kind of oppened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back