Ryobi One+ Tools - Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I had an old 1/4" Makita impact & drill set, the drill burned out and melted the battery with it. I did some searching around online and couldn't find any impact and drill set that could come close to the Ryobi set. $99 with an impact, drill, 2 batteries, and a carrying case. I haven't used the impact for anything really tough yet, but it probably isn't as powerful as my brother's Milwaukee 1/4" impact but still great for what I have used it for. But this thing is a fraction of the cost. The drill is great too, plenty powerful. The batteries have been lasting a long time too.

Then today I went and picked up the Ryobi tire inflator, only $39 and it uses my current batteries. I can't believe that thing, I topped off 9 car tires with it and 2 bicycle tires and it didn't even slow down. It filled them up really fast, probably 3 psi in less than 30 seconds. It has a digital setting on it so you set the pressure and can walk away, it stops on time. I checked the accuracy with my digital tire pressure gauge and it's spot on. But when you're done filling it up, the tire loses about 1 psi when disconnecting so I was setting it to 1 psi higher than what I wanted, then it was spot on after disconnecting.

No, I don't work for Ryobi. Just wanted to give a review of what I thought so far. The batteries fit an incredible amount of tools and I believe the batteries have a lifetime warranty.

Here's the links to what I got:

Impact and drill set:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Kit-P1832/207092155

Inflator:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt...-P731/203060297

I own the drill, leaf blower, and weed trimmer. I am very happy with them. I plan on adding to them. The tire inflator sounds great. I also need an impact driver.

Just went out and filled up a car tire from 32-35 psi. Used a stopwatch and it took 28 seconds.

I have a little air compressor that I used before. Couldn't stand that thing, took forever to fill up and the tank was too small to do more than 1 tire at a time without it having to refill.

I have a Ryobi impact driver I use for satellite installs. It has never been a problem. I like the ryobi system of tools a lot.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Just went out and filled up a car tire from 32-35 psi. Used a stopwatch and it took 28 seconds.

LOL
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

LOL
lol.gif

Why is that funny?

Originally Posted By: Rand
because he is a troll. so odd things are funny.

+1, yep and makes sense to me.
thumbsup2.gif

I have a variety of cordless and corded tools from Ryobi. Use the 1/2" 3 spd impact wrench on the car. Just picked up the new LED light tower this weekend from HD.

Also have an old set of blue cordless tools for around the house. Corded wheel of death with cutting blade. Cordless vacuum for the kids. Fan for camping. Weed whacker.

Ryobi has great tools for the home owner/DIYer. Plus their replacement batteries are more affordable than most.

That inflator tool is pretty neat. I personally went with the dewalt 20v system because you can find some of the brushless tools made in the USA. But others, including Milwaukee (which I do own a brushless impact) are all made in China. At that point, ryobi is as good as anything for light use, so long as their battery packs don't compromise on safety in the charger/management system.

I've shied away from ryobi when the connecting rod in my leaf vacuum broke circa 1997. But that gadget is neat and their one system looks decent. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I've shied away from ryobi when the connecting rod in my leaf vacuum broke circa 1997. But that gadget is neat and their one system looks decent. Good luck!

I had one of those as well, neat but they did not last at all.

ryobi has come a long way. The 18v drills are pretty good. They are great for home use, not pro quality but for homeowner use , quite good. I have the jigsaw and small circular saw, great for when i don't need to pull out the corded porter cable.

The only weakness seems to be the batteries, my set is 3 years old, i have had 1 battery die.

Nothing bad to say about the 18V cordless Ryobi stuff. Years ago I got the 18V drill with the NiCads and used it to drive about 2000 screws, and more than a few 3" deck screws, for my fence project. No problems, although awhile later the 2 speed transmission failed in it, but a month later Ryobi recalled it for a bad trigger switch, so I got a brand new one free. Once you upgrade to the new lithium batteries, it makes a decent tool a really good tool. Those Ryobi NiCads were notoriously short lived junk. Eventually got a kit with sawzall, circular saw, drill and flashlight, and impact driver. No complaints.

From all I gather, their 2 stroke gasoline powered tools are awful.

Last edited:
I'm not sure awesome is the word for it but most of the 18v lithium tools are good at least for home owner type use.

Go try some of the new rigid brushless stuff to see awesome
smile.gif

Lowes has an interesting "24v" kobalt set that looks interesting but I have never used those.

Home depot has the impact driver/drill/2-battery/intelligent charger combo for 99$ currently

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt...INT&cj=true

2 years ago I bought the Ryobi One+ drill and impact driver set with 2 batteries for ~$110 during the holiday sales. I primarily was interested in the impact driver to loosen lugnuts. It didn't work very well at all. Neither did my understanding of the difference between impact DRIVER and impact WRENCH. Regardless I returned it.

Last year I finally understood the difference between the two and am beyond happy with the Craftsman Bolt-On/Black & Decker Matrix series. Unlike the Ryobi, these have attachment 'heads' that you remove. The motor is the same, arguably having different motors is probably better overall since it's not one point of failure, but replacement bases aren't that expensive. Batteries are expensive. Regardless, I got the driver, impact WRENCH, and tire inflator. I use the inflator the most. My base is AC powered, but I am waiting for a sale this holiday for a battery powered version. What I like most, is that you have two manufacturers and the bases/accessories work on both.

Ryobi 18V is an outstanding value when combos are sale. Regular price on individual Ryobi tools are similar to Makitas which are 2 steps above. Around here I see more and more contractors using shrek green Ryobi tools and tell me they're happy with them and they don't get stolen as much as Dewalt/Milwaukee, and when they factor in more frequent replacement costs on the Ryobi due to breakage they still come up ahead.

Ryobi occupies the grey line between quality homeowner tools and lower-end contractor-grade tools. I would not compare Ryobi tools (in general) to Black&Decker, I've had both, Ryobi is much better. Ryobi may have made one or two not so durable tools in their 140+ tool lineup but overall I'm pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back