2016 yamaha yxz1000r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought one last night and ready to be overly anal about fluids going into it.

10.5k red line. 3 cylinder triple.
Engine oil: Api sg or higher. Jaso standard ma.
Separate wet clutch oil: same requirement
Diffs: gl-4 hypoid. Sae 80.

I want to run all synthetics after break in.

rbF3G4r.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
I want to run all synthetics after break in.
Why?

I own a couple of Yamaha power sports toys and I'll think you'll love it. I have not had the pleasure of driving or riding in one of these but from what I hear, they are amazing.

Oil: A lot of grizzly, wolverine, and Kodiak owners use Rotella T6, works wonderful and is Jaso Ma. I do note though we don't have anywhere near a 10.5k redline so you might consider something like Redline 10w-40, or maybe even Yamalube 0w-40 (colder) or 15w-5 (warmer) which is ester like Redline.

Diff and final drive: I use, as well as most others I know, Mobil 1 75-90 with great success. Is there better, maybe, but I change mine so frequently because of water and dirt and such that super expensive ones don't make a lot of sense.

Don't forget the gold plugs all around, you'll have happy you switched to them.

Because it's cheaper and this bad boy is going on the road.

I grabbed some yamalube 15w50 for the transmission.

No one has any input on anything else?

Nice! I was really eyeballing one of those too.

I run T5 Synthetic blend Rotella 10w30 ($16 Gallon) in my Yamaha Viking. Same cold pour properties at the T6 5w40.

I am too anal to use a fancy expensive synthetic. I like to change the fluids out regularly just to be safe.

Just noticed in the 2015 Manual it says 80w90 GL-5 is ok to use but the 2016 Manual make no note of this. I have been using Valvoline High Performance 80w90 GL-5 and plan to do yearly changes in the diff and final drive. It's crazy how small the capacities are in these machines.

sw99 I run T5 Synthetic blend Rotella 10w30 ($16 Gallon) in my Yamaha Viking. Same cold pour properties at the T6 5w40. [/quote said:
While T5 is great oil and I run it in a lot of my OPE, it's not JASO MA rated like the T6. The manual calls for a JASO MA rated oil. I see no reason not to follow that recommendation. Also, 10w-30 is only rated up to 70 degrees, and the OP is in Louisiana so a heavier 40 or 50 weight oil makes more sense IMHO

I have heard that the T5 meets the specs just not certified yet. Either way it works great in everything I have used it. look at all the diesel folks that use it in the hot summers. I am 100% comfortable using it year round.

I guess to each their own, I wouldn't buy that nice of a toy and not do something as simple as use the appropriate fluids when it's so easy to find a good JASO MA rated fluid. Especially when we are talking about the difference of 5-7 dollars a gallon. Honestly as I said, not sure the T6 is even the best option, but why go out of your way not to use what's recommended?

My goal is to use what's recommended or better. In the case of the trans oil, I'm running 15w50 yamalube.

But, as far as engine oil, anything goes. I'm leaning toward mobil1 0w40 because I always have it on hand. For the diffs, I'm leaning more towards valvoline.

Just looking to see if anyone has any input. It's a high revving engine.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I suspect the engine is derived from the FZ-09 bike engine which has rave reviews.

the engine is derived from the 1049cc triple (itself an offshoot of an earlier 973cc triple introduced in 2005, it too a descendant of the sport-touring FJR1300 4-cyl engine) currently in use in Yamaha and Arctic Cat snowmobiles. Apart from being a triple and a four-stroke it has no ties whatsoever to the FZ-09

Originally Posted By: Mik
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I suspect the engine is derived from the FZ-09 bike engine which has rave reviews.

the engine is derived from the 1049cc triple (itself an offshoot of an earlier 973cc triple introduced in 2005, it too a descendant of the sport-touring FJR1300 4-cyl engine) currently in use in Yamaha and Arctic Cat snowmobiles. Apart from being a triple and a four-stroke it has no ties whatsoever to the FZ-09

Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back