90k Miles on my S2000 Air Filter(with pic's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my air filter on my '06 S2000 not because of restriction but because it was six years old. The inside of the intake air tube was clean as if it was new. I even took a white glove to see if I could find any dust, I couldn't see any. The old filter was a Wix I put in when I bought the car back in 2010. This time I went with a Honda air filter, don't know if I'll still own the car in another 90+ k miles, but if I do I'll take pic's of it too.. This Wix held up very well and I would not heasitate to use one again.

I put a restriction gauge on my S back when I got the car and it still didn't show any restriction after all of those miles. We have driven our S over 105,000 miles all over the western US(I think 13 states) we also drive our S year round and we take back roads whenever we can.

Old Filter

Here are all the pics I took
http://s188.photobucket.com/user/rodrounds/library/air filter 90000 miles?sort=2&page=1

And here is my air filter restriction gauge

ROD

I love those restriction gauges. Most people replace air filters far too often.

I went 103K on the air filter in my Volvo S40 before it ran rough and tripped a code. Visually, the filter looked fine. This was sort of a mini experiment because air filters are changed way too often. So around here I know I can run filters to 50K.

I ran air filters well over 100,000 miles two or three times in my Mazda, which had relatively large media area in proportion to the air it consumed. They were starting to get hard to see light through, but replacing them never made a noticeable improvement in power or fuel consumption.

I agree that most people replace air filters too early, as long as they aren't threatening to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back