Computer slow to startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dell laptop and it takes like 20 minutes to warm up literally. Any advice? My guess is it's scanning for something first thing in the morning run it turn it on.

It's from being on stand by. I know you're supposed to periodically shut a computer down completely which I'm not the best at doing. It doesn't always do this, the computer is like 3 or 4 years old.

LOL...not that bad...

Most of my computers boot up pretty fast.

The almost 9 year old (Vista based, yes I have a few computers that old
wink.gif
) Does sometimes take a little while to fully boot from a shut off- but I think it might partly due to the software on it (like avast) that drag it out....

Also depends on what you might have the computer doing too.....

Swap out your optical drive with an SSD and install fresh Windows on it, keep your HD as data storage drive, and never look back!
My Acer boots so quick now that on the rare occasion that is use a proper desktop PC I start wondering what takes so long...

I would first run Malwarebytes to find and remove any Malware, Then update and run the Antivirus program. Then run a clean up followed by a Defrag that includes White.... Then run a check disk. If all that doesn't help then, restore to As Purchased after downloading all the files you wish to save on a USB memory stick. Let up know how it turned out. Ed

You could also run the MSCONFIG utility to find out what is starting at the system's boot sequence. My hunch is that there are a whole bunch of things starting up at boot time and some of them will be taking their sweet time hitting the internet looking (and waiting) for updates.

if it is a celeron or low end amd, the only thing to speed it up is an ssd drive. otherwise chuck it or craigslist it. go i3 next time.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
if it is a celeron or low end amd, the only thing to speed it up is an ssd drive. otherwise chuck it or craigslist it. go i3 next time.

I dunno. We do not always have to throw money at a problem, expecting consumer products to solve them for us. Quote:

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
It doesn't always do this, the computer is like 3 or 4 years old.

So there is a problem; and an intermittent, unpredictable one at that. Possibly it is hardware-related; probably not. If there is a process hanging the boot sequence because it it waiting for something (possibly in-)accessible on the internet, then no zippy fast drive is going to change that.

I'd really love to see what user space applications and processes are starting at boot time. MSCONFIG is built-in, fast and easy.

A failing HDD can make a lot of "slow" computers unbearably slow.

BTW, boot time has waxed and waned over the years. If I boot my Macintosh Classic from ROM(as far as I know the only Mac with that function) it has a useable desktop in about 5 seconds. I've had bad disks or corrupted installs that act like they are booting but won't.

With a good(not overly bloated) OS install and an SSD, most modern computers these days should boot to a useable desktop in 30s-1min. A platter drive and some bloatware might push that number to 5 minutes. For anything beyond that, I'd start looking for an issue.

I think cleaning up bloatware is a good start, but definitely install an HDD check utility. If your hard drive is failing, back up your data NOW and replace it. Think about installing an SSD, and if you do you will feel like you have a new computer.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
You could also run the MSCONFIG utility to find out what is starting at the system's boot sequence. My hunch is that there are a whole bunch of things starting up at boot time and some of them will be taking their sweet time hitting the internet looking (and waiting) for updates.
+1
A lady friend's Dell DT was set to run a complete virus/system scan, at every single boot! It would drag the machine to a slow crawl while the rest of the items in the start-up folder were attempting to "start". This thing was unusable for over 15min! That's just nuts.....

Task mngr showed all sorts of (%$&! running, %cpu>70, etc.

To make matters worse, she regularly let her friend use it for "shopping" and it was now affected with 5 or 6 shop-bots/malware/trojans, etc. Worse infected machine I'd ever encountered! Took hrs and several programs to finally remove all the junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back