rental car WAY overfilled on oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented a 2015 Durango for a week out west - and 1200 miles into my trip (and a few thousand miles since its last oil change, from what I could tell) I checked the oil. 1-1/2 inches Above the full line. 3.6 PentaStar engine. now that was a dilemma! I was way up in the mountains with no access to tools or anyone that could assist... what does one do?

Call the rental place. They will tell you what to do and you will have done the correct thing. I would not do anything without authorization. Ed

Last edited:
I know this is bitog, but on a rental, as long as it has enough oil to not break down, i'd just drive it. I'm not sure the rental company wants you under the hood anyway.

I can almost guarantee you that they overfill them 1 quart so they don't overlook a low oil scenario and seize an engine. It's bulk 30w anyway. Overfill it and reset the OLM 2-3 times.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I can almost guarantee you that they overfill them 1 quart so they don't overlook a low oil scenario and seize an engine. It's bulk 30w anyway. Overfill it and reset the OLM 2-3 times.

Yuuup, my buddies XL7 was treated like that, and when came time to change the oil, the dipstick was at perfect level. I'm sure a lot of others do the same.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I know this is bitog, but on a rental, as long as it has enough oil to not break down, i'd just drive it. I'm not sure the rental company wants you under the hood anyway.

+1

This is BITOG nonsense. It's a rental car...it's their job to maintain it. I just rented an Equinox for a week. Put a thousand miles on it. A day after I got it-the OLM came on that is was time for an oil change.

I kept driving it.....who cares.

BTW- I liked the Equinox as a vehicle-will consider one the next time around.

Not going to hurt anything.

I rented a Uhaul to move a family member last winter and it was over 2 quarts low on oil. I topped it off because I didn't want to get stranded on the 350+ mile trip to California.

In this case, you're not going to break down.

Originally Posted By: CKN
This is BITOG nonsense. It's a rental car...it's their job to maintain it. I just rented an Equinox for a week. Put a thousand miles on it. A day after I got it-the OLM came on that is was time for an oil change.

I kept driving it.....who cares.

BTW- I liked the Equinox as a vehicle-will consider one the next time around.

Yep +1

My dad rented a car one time where the oil change light came on the next day and he called to ask what to do and they said to have the oil changed and they would reimburse him. I think he was afraid they would charge him if he did nothing.

I work for enterprise rental car and here is how it goes. We have a place who changes the oil on our cars based on when the computer in the office says so. The oil change place never seems to reset the oil light when its changed and we often get complaints that the oil needs to be changed when in fact it might have just been changed. No one checks the oil but me and that's if I have time. Most of the time we are trying to get cars ready so fast things get overlooked. So next time you get a rental please check the oil. The oil may be above the max mark or below the min mark or not even on the dipstick. Also the tire pressure is never set to the door card spec. It's set higher so the tire pressure light comes on less often. Most people don't know cars can use oil and with the way people hammer on them its bound to loose some oil over the change interval. And as far as what to do if a car needs tires or oil or whatnot. Call the rental place and tell them you want to get it fixed if you will get reimbursed. If you bring it back with a problem its one less car we can rent until its fixed. So it actually does us a service to have it fixed while its being rented.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
I wonder just how many renters lift the hood to check.

Likely less than 1%

I sadly admit to that....

Back when I had my Compass rental a few years ago for like a month, I checked it weekly...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
My dad rented a car one time where the oil change light came on the next day and he called to ask what to do and they said to have the oil changed and they would reimburse him. I think he was afraid they would charge him if he did nothing.

Again- it's their job to maintain it. When I took my rental back I told them about the oil change warning-the rental guy looked at the miles written on the sticker on the door jam-and then the odometer, and made a note on the windshield to put the car in for service. Who in the world wants to take time out of their vacation/business trip-WHATEVER to change the oil on a rental car?

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I work for enterprise rental car and here is how it goes. We have a place who changes the oil on our cars based on when the computer in the office says so. The oil change place never seems to reset the oil light when its changed and we often get complaints that the oil needs to be changed when in fact it might have just been changed. No one checks the oil but me and that's if I have time. Most of the time we are trying to get cars ready so fast things get overlooked. So next time you get a rental please check the oil. The oil may be above the max mark or below the min mark or not even on the dipstick. Also the tire pressure is never set to the door card spec. It's set higher so the tire pressure light comes on less often. Most people don't know cars can use oil and with the way people hammer on them its bound to loose some oil over the change interval. And as far as what to do if a car needs tires or oil or whatnot. Call the rental place and tell them you want to get it fixed if you will get reimbursed. If you bring it back with a problem its one less car we can rent until its fixed. So it actually does us a service to have it fixed while its being rented.

Right-everybody will do this. Do your job and keep oil in it.

I've worked for a couple of rental companies - one was on a small island, we didn't charge for fuel just a mileage fee, you'd be hard pressed to use a 1/4 tank in a day, and we had our own pump. I did all the maintenance...the cars were wrecks, but I don't think you'd have found any levels out. The other was a dealership, and they had a rental fleet. The cars were kept at the airport, and we'd grab a few people to bring them in or drop them back. Sometimes you'd see one of the guys doing a service on one, I'd say ''Hey, I did that one a couple of days ago" They'd just carry on and finish the job...or I'd do one and see it had just been serviced that morning. So they were well serviced!

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: joegreen

Right-everybody will do this. Do your job and keep oil in it.

Hey! Give them a little slack will ya? Haven't you ever been so busy at work that you did not have the time to do your job?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back