0/20 spec really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
beyond a small 0/20 efficiency advantage I cant see paying a premium for this Honda/CAFE driven spec for the new 1.5T engine, fact I'd think it may benefit from the higher film strength of say a 5/30 or at worst a 5/20? agreed, long as it's full synthetic...is there any support for this sort of thinking?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's always good to find out what the oil spec is for the same car in other countries, such as Australia.

Except that the OP lives in Wisconsin. I don't care what the run in Australia if my climate is COMPLETELY different. A bone stock commuter Honda (with a tiny turbo for efficiency or not) will do just fine with 0w20 full synthetic.

so the consensus is a 0/20 offers equal protection from wear as a 5/30?

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's always good to find out what the oil spec is for the same car in other countries, such as Australia.

Except that the OP lives in Wisconsin. I don't care what the run in Australia if my climate is COMPLETELY different. A bone stock commuter Honda (with a tiny turbo for efficiency or not) will do just fine with 0w20 full synthetic.

Couldn't have said it better.

The RX states to only use 0w20, and in case I can't find it 5w20 blah blah... But a CYA statement of higher grade (not specified how high) for high speed and towing applications. So there is your loop hole.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Do you care about warranty? Then use what the manual tells you to use.

I put on 3,000 miles or more per month, alot of it at 80 mph. then on country road passing and such really working the engine on and off 5-6 hours a week...0/20 can't do that like a 5/30?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
so the consensus is a 0/20 offers equal protection from wear as a 5/30?

I think so. I use 0/20 in my camry.

Do you think it will have an oil related issues before 400k miles?

I mean if, as you claim, 0/20 is inferior to 5/30, at how many miles will you see the difference? 300k, 500k miles?

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is, it's your car and you don't have to use 0W-20 if you don't want to. I seriously believe that 5W-30 and thinner oils are for temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit and that applies to all cars. 0W-20 is a below zero oil for crimany sakes.

well I know I don't want to develop a oil burner in a year to save the earth a miniscule amount of co.

I put on 3,000 miles or more per month, alot of it at 80 mph. then on country road passing and such really working the engine on and off 5-6 hours a week...0/20 can't do that like a 5/30?

Even with that usage, your Honda will do just fine. People hear turbo and think performance but it's really not the intended usage in these models. They are designed for racking up the miles and the average owner that neglects it.

0w20 oils are great oils (virtually all of them) and will meet your needs just fine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The fact of the matter is, it's your car and you don't have to use 0W-20 if you don't want to. I seriously believe that 5W-30 and thinner oils are for temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit and that applies to all cars. 0W-20 is a below zero oil for crimany sakes.

Develop a wear to save a miniscule amount of fuel..and pay extra for it? ... defies logic.

do the 5/30 oils protect better than 0/20 oils apples to apples? can that be said?

Develop a wear to save a miniscule amount of fuel..and pay extra for it? ... defies logic.

Me thinks this was your thinking when you started this thread. Come on, you know all this, right? Nine years on BITOG and you really don't know the answer? And besides, where exactly are you paying a lot more for 0W-20 than any other quality synthetic oil?

On the other hand, I've used 0W-20 in my old ECHO since about 100,000 miles and it is doing fine. I like the way it is quieter on startup especially in really cold weather. So far oil consumption is the same as it was 150,000 miles ago. I also drive quite a few miles a week at 80 MPH, at least for some of the stretches.

I also used 5W-20 for a very long time in my even older Sienna. I only recently moved to a heavier grade to try and slow the consumption I do have, which while not excessive is still more than I'd like to have.

I'm not quite as cynical as some people here on BITOG, I really do think your car will operate just fine on the recommended oil and will not wear out prematurely.

My little Toyota has 152K on it, all on 0w-20, and doesn't burn any measurable amount of oil. I only use Mobil 1 or occasionally Pennzoil Platinum, but most 0w-20's are fully synthetic anyway. I average 2MPG above the EPA highway rating, consistently.

Buy a 5w-20 or a 5w-30? Congratulations, you've just bought a jug with a mix of more conventional oil and less synthetic oil than 0w-20.

But hey, if that makes you happy, it really won't hurt your car. And, you'll always find someone to validate your choices, like Merkava.

Or, you could do a UOA and find out the real condition of your engine (suspended metals) and oil (viscosity breakdown), and find out what I did- I could run my 8K, 9K, 10K oil change intervals out even further with no problem.

But if you'd rather remain information-free and make decisions based on hunches, don't let me stop you!

I used to tease about the 'high strung' Korean turbo engines, well, this is a Japanese version and it's working pretty hard in my opinion...this ain't no 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back