Starting to shop for new tires for my Subie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NO2
....The "H" rated tires perform a bit better in bad weather than the "V" tires ...

Is this considered to apply for most tire manufactures? Is it believed to be because of a different tread compound since often the V rated versions have a lower tread life warranty? However, that might be because of a softer compound and I would think that the softer tread compound would perform better (i.e. grip / traction) in cold winter temps than a harder and longer lasting compound that the same tires may use in their H version? So this subject is confusing
confused.gif

I've looked at several tires that are available in both the H and V ratings and the price difference is not material.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Picky1
Thanks folks for the insights, please keep in mind that the tire size I am looking at is 225/45/18 V speed rated. Narrowed it down to the following tires due to price, performance, preference, and assessability:

- General RT43’s
- Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring
- Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (due to Costco rebate, and the potential to get my current tires pro-rated)

Any experience with any of these tires in respects to handling, MPG, and winter weather?

The Serenity Plus is not available in 225/45-18

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
So you're getting aftermarket 18 inch wheels and 225/45r18 size tires now?

Enough with the RT43's and CS5's. You should get something that's less popular on here and then be able to tell BITOG about something new.

He didn't like my suggestions
Originally Posted By: Cressida
Originally Posted By: NO2
....The "H" rated tires perform a bit better in bad weather than the "V" tires ...

Is this considered to apply for most tire manufactures? Is it believed to be because of a different tread compound since often the V rated versions have a lower tread life warranty? However, that might be because of a softer compound and I would think that the softer tread compound would perform better (i.e. grip / traction) in cold winter temps than a harder and longer lasting compound that the same tires may use in their H version? So this subject is confusing
confused.gif

I've looked at several tires that are available in both the H and V ratings and the price difference is not material.

If the OE speed rating for the car is V, he MUST use V or higher (in fact, most of the good tires in this size are W-rated, including the CS5). Most tire shops will not install tires of a lower speed rating than the original. The only exception is for winter tires (mountain and snowflake). The "all weather" WRG3 is legally a winter tire because of that symbol, so using a lower rating is OK, but these tires have a very short tread life and are expensive.

Cooper's warranty is 60k for both H and V-rated versions of the CS5 Ultra. For the W-rated CS5's, the warranty is 50k.

General's warranty for the RT43 is 65k for both H and V. The RT43 in the OP's size is V-rated.

Bridgestone's warranty for the Serenity Plus is 80k for H, 75k for V, and 50k for W. But the Serenity Plus doesn't seem to be available in 225/45-18 in any speed rating.

Out of the three on his short list, Cooper wins because they're US-made and will be the best price by far during DT/DTD's labor day promotion.

----------------------

For the tires I suggested earlier:

Kumho's warranty for the TA71 is 60k in both V and W speed ratings (the TA71 in his size is W)

Falken's warranty for the ZE950 is 45k for W, and 60k for H and V (the ZE950 in his size is W)
The Sumitomo P02 and Falken ProG4 are the same in terms of warranty

General's warranty on the G-Max is 40k

Dunlop's warranty on the Signature HP is 45k

Kelly's warranty for the Edge AS is 55k

Haven't purchased anything as of yet, waiting to see what kind of deal I can get during Labor Day weekend. However, I am leaning toward either the General RT43's or the Cooper CS5's

Originally Posted By: Picky1
Haven't purchased anything as of yet, waiting to see what kind of deal I can get during Labor Day weekend. However, I am leaning toward either the General RT43's or the Cooper CS5's

Discount Tire has their labor day promos up now, and the Cooper CS5 has a $25 rebate from DT/DTD, plus an additional $70 from Cooper. If you use the DT credit card, or open up an account, there's an additional $60 back.

Thanks for the tip, I have seen a couple winter/snow reviews on the Generals RT43's, but nothing on the Cooper CS5's Ultras? Seems like with the various rebates I can get a decent buy on the Coopers but I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger based on my past winter experience on the Cooper CS4's on my wife's Honda Odyssey.

Agreed.. I know Cooper is a BITOG favorite based on old threads I've been reading, but I just can't find any good reviews about winter use. I probably still have another 5-10k miles on my current set so I'm not in a rush. But if you need it for winter use I would probably look past the CS5 just from a lack of reviews. Check out the comparison chart:
Discount Tire comparison chart for Cooper CS5

Edit: I just checked 1010Tires's site and they have a poor rating for CS5 in the snow category. Link

and Tirereviews.com doesn't have the CS5 on their alternatives list for All-Season. Mainly Continentals and Pirelli (I saw the other thread here about Pirelli's quality so probably not them either).. General Altimax is listed in the middle of the pack. Link

Few other tire review sites but they don't summarize the reviews by snow performance. Kauffman Tire / Tread Depot

I'm leaning toward the Altimax R43 myself but I'm in N. California so YMMV.

Last edited:
On second thought.. Tire Rack has a $75 Kumho promotion right now so that makes the Kumho Solus TA71 a lower cost option for my needs. They show country of origin as Korea. Winter traction looks good as well if you're curious. Link

Funds have been tight so I wasn't able to pull the trigger on tires for my 2012 Subaru Legacy during the Labor Day Sales but I now have wrangled up the funds for new tires (225/45/18). I have narrowed it down to either the General RT43s or the Cooper CS5 Ultra's. Both tires are basically the same price, the General's have a $50 rebate avail, and the Coopers which are $3 more a tire have a $70 rebate avail right now.

So the question is which is the better AS tire? Really looking for something that is smooth, quite, and has a sporty feel, yet still has good winter traction for a AS tire. I have read plenty of reviews on the RT43's, but can't seem to find anything regarding winter driving for the CS5's?

Which would you buy?

OK, here goes:
Smooth----both smooth with a small edge to the RT43
Quiet-----Cooper CS5 Ultra by far
Sporty feel----Cooper CS5 Ultra
Winter traction----RT43 much better

You have to decide what is more important to you, sporty feel or going in the snow.
I chose the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring for my daily driver but my other car is a
Subie running 4 Dunlop winter tires.

Last edited:
I'd prob go for the RT43 for the winter traction. I'm a Cooper fan as well. What I don't like about the RT43 is the temperature rating is a B. On the Camry I can monitor the air pressure readings. The readings increase quite a bit when they warm up. Kind of a nit pick but maybe the reading is an A on some of the other speed ratings. Since the one I'm speaking of is a T rating. Have nice evening gentlemen!

You are comparing two top tier tires that are very similar.
Black Friday deals will surface soon and that fact would drive my decision.

For the record, I went with Continental True Contact from Mal Wart of all places. Rollback gave great price, and the tires have delivered everything promised. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
For the record, I went with Continental True Contact from Mal Wart of all places. Rollback gave great price, and the tires have delivered everything promised. Just a thought.

Those Conti's were my first choice, but the Conti's would cost me $150 more (between the cost per tire & the rebate)than either the Generals or Coopers. Also, isn't General a sub-brand of Continental?

Dunno on the sub-contract.
Rebates and prices will come into play rather soon. Black Friday is a driving retail season.

Discount Tire has a Continental tire same as True Contact, different name, and four ribs of tread rather than the three on the True.
They go big with rebates and sale prices, so good luck.

Got the RT43's mounted today along with an alignment. I ended up going with the Generals due to the positive winter reviews coupled with the price per tire especially when you layer in the rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back