09 Subaru Wrx oil suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if a similar thread has been made previously, I haven't been able to find one.

1. What kind of vehicle do you have

09 Subaru WRX, stock
71,000 Miles

2. What does your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

ILSAC GF-4 or API classification SM

5w-30 or 5w-40, the manual states 5w-30 is preferred.

The manual doesn't seem to give a change interval

3. Where Do you live

South FL, it gets hot here, it's not rare to see weather in the hundreds over the summer

4. How do you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)

I drive pretty hard when possible, but most of my commute is on the interstate, where I tend to go easier, so take that as you will

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)

Daily, I drive about 3/4 highway 1/4 city, about 30 miles. Highway speeds are typically 75-80ish, backups/standstill traffic are kinda rare, but do happen.

In general, I am not scared of putting miles on the car, I've been known to take some pretty long trips over the weekend. Normally, these are more of a 50/50 highway/city ratio.

Additionally, over the summer, I may do 1-2 very long road trips.

So call it a medium to long trip on average I guess.

6. Whether your car has any known problems

Not at the moment.

7. Preferences

I would prefer a synthetic oil, unless someone has a good argument otherwise
Price is not really a factor, but I'm not looking for oil infused with gold
I don't have a preference over store bought or ordered online
I've heard good things about Rotella t6 5w-40, any word on that?

welcome2.gif

I'd run a 5w-30 SN GL-5 synthetic of your choosing.

This is not really a grocery getter engine. You'll beat on it some when you have the time. Best to get in, under, and around it more often than mom's mini-van. 4,000 mile OCI are just good insurance and time to look things over.

I agree on the Rotella T6 as good oil for situations like this. T6 seems to keep turbo's alive for a l-o-n-g time
smile.gif

Rotella T6 5w40
Mobil 1 0w40

would be the most easily available engines, Subaru filter is decent if you can find it for $5 or less.

OCI of 5,000 would be a cautious starting point for that toasty little turbo.

Some interesting Wikipedia info on Rotella oils...

Shell Rotella T is a line of heavy duty engine lubrication products produced by Shell Oil Company. The line includes engine oils, gear oils and coolants. The oil carries both the American Petroleum Institute (API) diesel "C" rating as well as the API gasoline engine "S" rating. Ratings differ based on the oil. Rotella oils like T3 15w-40 meets both the API CJ-4 and SM specifications, and may be used in both gasoline and diesel engines. However, it is formulated specifically for vehicles without catalytic converters, containing phosphorus levels beyond the 600-800ppm range.[1] Therefore, Rotella is not recommended for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters due to the higher risk of damaging these emission controls.[2] Newer formulations of Rotella T6 however are API SM rated as safe for pre-2011 gasoline vehicles.

Yeah, that's been posted here several times and there are a couple long discussions about it.

At the end of the day though, if it is gasoline rated then it is gasoline rated. Unless you are blowing large quantities through your exhaust it isn't going to be a problem. And if you are doing that then you have other problems.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm

Shell Rotella T is a line of heavy duty engine lubrication products produced by Shell Oil Company. The line includes engine oils, gear oils and coolants. The oil carries both the American Petroleum Institute (API) diesel "C" rating as well as the API gasoline engine "S" rating. Ratings differ based on the oil. Rotella oils like T3 15w-40 meets both the API CJ-4 and SM specifications, and may be used in both gasoline and diesel engines. However, it is formulated specifically for vehicles without catalytic converters, containing phosphorus levels beyond the 600-800ppm range.[1] Therefore, Rotella is not recommended for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters due to the higher risk of damaging these emission controls.[2] Newer formulations of Rotella T6 however are API SM rated as safe for pre-2011 gasoline vehicles.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yeah, that's been posted here several times and there are a couple long discussions about it.

At the end of the day though, if it is gasoline rated then it is gasoline rated. Unless you are blowing large quantities through your exhaust it isn't going to be a problem. And if you are doing that then you have other problems.

Footnote [2] is an E-mail from Shell Technical stating that "Rotella oils are not recommended for gasoline cars with catalytic converters."

Footnote [2] is an E-mail from Shell Technical stating that "Rotella oils are not recommended for gasoline cars with catalytic converters."

Yes I know, that was part of the long previous discussions I mentioned.

I dont get it. If it is SM rated then how can it fail the cat test? Wasnt protecting the emissions system a big concern of SM oils, or maybe we need to wait and see if SN Rotella will solve all of life's problems.

The PQIA looked at Rotella back in 2014...I was surprised that the NOACK was better, but it isn't bad. This also may have the highest CCS viscosity I've seen for a synthetic 5W, but that would be a don't care for Florida. Definitely lots of zinc and phosphorus...

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/shellrotellat6.htm

Seems like a lot of WRX drivers like Mobil 1 5W30 ESP, which has an HTHS over 3.5 and 0.6% SAPS according to Mobil, as well as a NOACK of under 6% if you trust Russian VOAs. The main issues with it are price and availability...
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/6709-mobil-1-esp-formula-5w-30-svezhee/

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

IMO, there's no need to pay for pricey low SAPS M1 ESP unless you have a DIT (even then Subaru Japan still allows the high SAPS stuff).

I'd run RT6, M1 0W-40, or Euro Castrol 0W-30/40 If your engine uses oil, I'd go with M1 10W-30 High Mileage. M1 HM would be a good choice regardless. As for running RT6 or any other HDEO, here's another Subaru turbo thread with good info by Doug Hillary.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2716911

I''m not sure if your MY WRX has the banjo bolt screens, but if it does I would not go beyond 5k miles on an interval with the above mentioned oils. If it doesn't have the screens, then 7,500 miles is doable with these oils. If you run a standard GF5 Resource Conserving oil then I would change it at 3,750 miles as recommended by Subaru of America.

The '08 and '09 turbos were part of a stop sale due to bearing wear. There have still been some bearing failures on '09 Forester XT's within the past six months IIRC.

The only downside to T6, or any of th HDEO options, is the 4 quart bottle. You'll need another 4ounces to make the full mark. Any Xw-40 or Xw30 that has a hths 3.3 or more is what to look for. 5qt bottles are just more convenient and likely cost effective. Looking for the strict Porsche, MB, and VW specs are a decent guide too.

In south Florida, don't rule out 10w30 or 10w40 options as well.

I've run edge 0w30, 0w-40, 5w-40, M1 tdt and 0w-40, pennzoil 10w30 and 5w-40 PP, and Valvoline 5w-40 in my LGT, and would run all of them again. What ever you can get the best deal on, and stock up on clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back