Seeking advice/opinions on 2010 Prius4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased the Prius for my wife. Does an extended warranty make since? Any other recommendations or attention needed, etc.
Car has about 90,000mi. Have not checked the owners manual yet. Thanks ahead

From what I have read, with the 2010 Prius, if it has under 100k miles, it is basically a brand-new Prius.

Extended warranties are a personal choice.

I always love to "stick it to The Man" and not buy them, and just out of pocket repairs that may never come.

The Prius is an insanley reliable car, so it is up to you.

The question regarding Extended Warranties is pretty basic ... have you been buying them in the past?

My point is you either ALWAYS buy them or you NEVER buy them.

Any other strategy (buying some and not buying others) will cost you more money than either of the first two, because breakdowns or warranty-eligible incidents are random (more or less) so you cannot reliably predict which thing you buy is going to break, or when.

If you always buy them then you get the protection they offer at a certain price premium.

If you never buy them then you eat the cost of repairs out of your pocket.

It's a one-time decision, however. You will probably be money ahead by never buying extended warranties, but in order for this to work you need the ability to pay for a possibly costly repair every so often. That means you have some savings mechanism in place so that the money is available to make the repair immediately when required.

If you are not the type to have some resources available to you (for example, you pay for repairs with a credit card instead of own resources) then you should consider buying the extended warranties, because your lack of savings discipline means you cannot have an unforeseen repair taken care of immediately. You are, in essence, pre-paying the repair bill, which you may find to be a strategy that for you is easier to manage.

Who going to sell you a extended warranty with over 90k miles on the car? The only warranty worth buying is one underwritten by the Toyota Corp. Must others are junk and many go out of business with in 3 to 5 years.BUYER BE WERE!

I wouldn't bother. There's a warranty extension on the inverter and the EGR. The Battery is warrantied to 100k or 150k depending on your state. Not much else goes wrong with these cars. Some will drink oil and leak from the timing cover, but it is not that common.

The warranty is from Toyota thru a couple of names. I'll have to look in the glove box for it, if it's there. I considered it because it was $1500 for 3 years at 0% with monthly payments. If they won't let me actually do that, I will probably pass. It had other perks too. A timing cover leak alone is $4500 as mention on Prius chat. These cars are very reliable. Unlike a 93' All wheel drive Dodge Grand Caravan I bought new. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty cause I went thru 4 transmissions in 100,000mi.

Are you going to put a Frantz - Motorguard - Puradyn Oil Bypass filter on that car? Maybe a Magnafine filter or remote screw on filter for the automatic transmission as well. Two add on filters that would keep your fluids cleaner than the factory filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back