Mystik JT8 15w50 Semi Syn CJ4-SM VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystik 15/50 JT8 Semi synthetic, Mystik claims this oil exceeds CJ4/SM
(note- in the comments Blackstone incorrectly refers to this as a 15/40)

I used this for an oil change as a new fill on my 14 Road King. Im on the fence over what I am looking at. Im surprised there is no Moly and Boron, yet healthy Zinc, Phos and Mag.
I guess a little more silicon would not have hurt either.

Ill do a UOA on this is a few thousand miles but that will be a long time.

thoughts anyone ???

Mystik JT8 15w50

Last edited:
You would have been better off with Mobil 1 V-twin oil. It has moly, boron, and a higher flash point to boot and probably a higher tbn. Harley's SYN III oil has lower amounts of phos, and zinc, plus a flash point almost 100 degrees higher. I hope the mystic oil doesn't poison your catalytic converters. Because it isn't recommended by Harley. Never mind I'm sure it will work ok.,,,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Im running it in my diesel. the detergent has me worried a little

Just quickly looked over at the UOAs in the HEDO section. Im not to concerned, being it has the magnesium in there.
But, Im rushing for now, want to get out on the bike ([censored], starting to thunder)! Just took a quick glance at the others in the HEDO section, its a mix and on my bikes I change 2 or 3 times a year. 3000 miles or so (or less)... Im not saying its a robust oil but Ive seen both sides, robust oils that dont do well and non robust that do and non robust that dont and robust that do, maybe it will be good. I will find out in a few months.
HD calls for a "C" rated oil, so ... life goes on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You would have been better off with Mobil 1 V-twin oil. It has moly, boron, and a higher flash point to boot and probably a higher tbn. Harley's SYN III oil has lower amounts of phos, and zinc, plus a flash point almost 100 degrees higher. I hope the mystic oil doesn't poison your catalytic converters. Because it isn't recommended by Harley. Never mind I'm sure it will work ok.,,,

Ah, but the Mystik Cj4 is recommended by Harley for my bike and if you are concerned about a catalytic converter then you sure as heck should not be pushing Mobile 1 V-Twin with a heck of a lot more "poison" for your CAT (as you state) your concern and most likely why Mobile 1 is not rated as acceptable.

Last edited:
" Mobil 1 is not rated as acceptable" That's a good one. Why would you want a more robust additive package then Harley's oil, when you can buy mystic oil for your Harley? You crack me up.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
" Mobil 1 is not rated as acceptable" That's a good one. Why would you want a more robust additive package then Harley's oil, when you can buy mystic oil for your Harley? You crack me up.,,,

Not as much as you me.

I did a VOA on that same oil about 5 years ago. The results were identical..looks like a plain jane HDEO..nothing special except the 15w50 on the jug.

Yes, sure looks that way and thats ok. I wasnt expecting anything special, just looking for a good reliable oil and like to mess around with this stuff.

Im looking forward to doing a UOA on it in the future. I wish I had more riding time to do one sooner. Maybe Ill pull a sample in a month.

Im unsure on a Harley if some of the previous oil will influence the UOA much, I think as much as 10 or 15% (1/3 to 1/2 a quart??) of the oil gets left behind on a change? oil cooler etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Im running it in my diesel. the detergent has me worried a little

For me, I saw what you are saying, Im running this oil in a motorcycle, would never ever run it more then 5000 miles and my normal change range is 3000 or less miles, with its C rating I do see the Calcium and Mag when combined are about on par with the "House Brand" oils, Super Tech and national chain oils and more expensive Bouquet oils.

Also seem to match close to the Citgo oils who make the product. Here is the source I used. Keep in mind the Mystik Oil is a semi syn, the oils below are not.

PQI National Test Results

I also went over to the UOAs on this site and saw many similar stats from far more expensive oils. Anyway, its s fun experiment.

Last edited:
its a bargain oil for sure + the 15 W should start + circulate better than a 20 W in colder temps. amsoils 20-50 in an 06 sportster stored in a 40ish degree garage while in the 30's outside, rolled out to ride in a 50-60 afternoon the slow cranking that usually killed my battery!!! i know a 20-50 is prolly a "stronger" oil but harder to start in the cold, not to mention poor lubrication while trying!!

Last edited:
I used to run the Mystik 15/50 in a dozer - still have a case of that, and the old PAO loaded SX8 10/30, that I am slowly using up in mowers. Made by the Cato Oil and Grease Co. in OKC, before Citgo bought Cato.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back