Talk me out of Redline 5w-30 in my N55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can't seem to easily find PP 5w-40 in the local auto stores any more, and its not clear to me if its always included in the specials they have anyway.

Sure, Amazon carries it, and with subscribe and save, the pricing is OK.

Redline is always expensive, but has a ton of Moly, is an ester based lube which Id think would be good for DI, and has low NOACK.

It claims to be ok for BMW LL-01, not that it carries an actual approval.

Its a few $ more / qt than the Pennzoil. But its easy to get from lots of places.

Why wouldn't I want to run it in my low mileage 135i (N55)?

The regular RL 5w30 or the RL Euro 5w30?

Regular would be choice I guess.

How easy is it to 'scope your intake valves?

The mid-SAPS nature of Euro RL 5w30 may lend itself to less deposits in DI. I have both, along with RL 5w540, to try once out of warranty. And some RP HPS. And Mobil 1 5w50 and 15w50.

What about RLI?

You cannot find Castrol 0W40 in local Wal Mart?
If you cannot find Castrol 0W40, then yeah, why not, try it, do UOA, let us know how it goes.

Where did I make any mention of Castrol 0w-40? So why did you bring it into the conversation? Im truly curious if there is a reason I dont know upfront.

I mentioned PU 5w-40, because it is a GTL with a very low NOACK (~7%, IIRC). Redline is 6-7% NOACK as well. From what Ive seen, the castrol you mention is 9.1% or so.

So what am I missing as to why Id want to go this route?

OK, I am mentioning it bcs. it is LL-01 approaved.
As for NOACK, 6.8% was NOACK on first version of Pennzoil Ultra with GTL, the one with HTHS of 3.88cp. This version that has HTHS of 3.6cp, I have not seen NOACK number yet, on Pennzoil or Shell Ultra 5W40. So, if NOACK is primary concern, and Castrol's NOACK is too high for you, then why not BMW OEM 5W30? It is safe to assume it is same base as Pennzoil Platinum 5W40, so it is safe to assume that it has NOACK lower then PP 5W40. On other hand, wait 01/01/2017 when U.S. moves to ULSG and use Mobil1 5W30 ESP since NOACK is 5.6%.
As for Castrol, I mentioned it because it is LL-01, it has really good HTHS of 3.7, it has really good cold performance. Castrol 0W30? NOACK is 8.1%. I tend to trust PAO more then GTL, but I thought you just asking alternatives, not thinking you are set on ONLY those two oils.
Like I said, use RL, do UOA and let us know!

Thanks for the info.

I was an original user of M1 5w-30 ESP in non-diesel, non DI gasser applications. Its $$$ and not that easy to find either (which is why Redline is on the radar at all, because of the cost of the other semi-OTS oils). That's not a bad thought in the long run... Especially since Im fairly familiar with how TBN depletes in that oil.

Im not opposed to the Castrol, and yes, it has great cold properties and HTHS. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

NAPA runs sale on M1 5W30 ESP for $5.99 sometimes.

Not sure about where you live, but around here all of the advance auto parts stores carry the PP Euro 5w-40. It is never on the shelf though. You always have to go to the counter and ask for it. I usually check the availability online just to make sure they have it before I go there though. I have had employees there that try to tell me they don't have it. Maybe they just don't like going to the back though, because once I mention that it says available online they go and get it for me.

I had some leftover Red Line 0w40 oil from 5 years ago that I just dumped into my 2012 Audi A6 3.0T engine and the car runs smooth as butter. I personally believe that all modern oils from reputable companies will protect just fine for hundreds of thousands of miles so the oils I pick to use in my car are oils that run the quietest and smoothest. Hence why I use RP and RL.
If you're going to use RL get the 0w40 variety. Lots of Moly, easier starts in winter and a very quiet engine.

Originally Posted By: dah90
Not sure about where you live, but around here all of the advance auto parts stores carry the PP Euro 5w-40. It is never on the shelf though. You always have to go to the counter and ask for it. I usually check the availability online just to make sure they have it before I go there though. I have had employees there that try to tell me they don't have it. Maybe they just don't like going to the back though, because once I mention that it says available online they go and get it for me.

This happened to me when I tried to get some M1 5W30 ESP from O'Reilly's...a kid on Sunday evening told me they could get it from their warehouse, but said I had to call the next day because he didn't know how to order it and refused to leave a note for somebody else. I called the next day and was put on hold by somebody who was clearly not excited to hear about something needing to be specially requested rather than just being on the shelf ("We have plenty of M1 5W30"), then nobody ever picked up again. I just paid a little more down at Pep Boys rather than fight lazy O'Reilly employees.

I just peeked over at the NAPA website to look for a sale and found an MSDS there that claims a -36C pour point for 5W30 ESP...the Mobil website says -45C (quite low for 5W30).
????

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: dah90

This happened to me when I tried to get some M1 5W30 ESP from O'Reilly's...a kid on Sunday evening told me they could get it from their warehouse, but said I had to call the next day because he didn't know how to order it and refused to leave a note for somebody else. I called the next day and was put on hold by somebody who was clearly not excited to hear about something needing to be specially requested rather than just being on the shelf ("We have plenty of M1 5W30"), then nobody ever picked up again. I just paid a little more down at Pep Boys rather than fight lazy O'Reilly employees.

I just peeked over at the NAPA website to look for a sale and found an MSDS there that claims a -36C pour point for 5W30 ESP...the Mobil website says -45C (quite low for 5W30).
????

Mobil site is correct!

This is easy.

What OEM approvals does Redline have ?
Any yet?

Expensive Yes

Overrated Yes

Plenty of Technical Jargon on its Website to convince you to use it, what are they really telling you ?

Not for Street Use rather for Track use given it is promoted from its high temperature base stocks selling point.

Too many alternatives now days representing better value for money.

Whats wrong with the OEMs recommended brand of oil.

No longer has an Australian Website, it was probably the best one on the Net.

If you or others DONT agree go on a shopping spree.
Stock up on Redline as much as you need.

Last edited:
After running a few quality oils such as Amsoil, Castrol Edge, and Red Line, with UOA's on each I've been happy with the results from my Red Line runs.

I noticed aluminum wear dropped a significant amount after the Red Line switch, and aluminum is the main wear metal in my engine - used on cylinder walls (FRM), head cam journal surfaces, and pistons.

I also did a Red Line run on a trip to the Dragon in NC, with one week of high rpm high-G cornering at the Dragon and surrounding roads in NC. That run compared favourably to a typical daily driving OCI of previously used oils without any significant increases in wear metals over similar numbers of miles.

It is an expensive oil and you can get great oils OTC these days, but Red Line has worked well for me in my Honda S2000. I only change the oil once per driving season/year so cost is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back