My new muffler. YAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today I was driving my 78 Chevy pickup. The muffler that was on it was all rusted out and the truck was a little noisy when driving. Anyway while driving the truck got louder all of the sudden. I knew that something happened with the muffler. I proceeded to drive another mile up the road to a parking lot but of course just before I got there the large 2.5 foot round muffler fell off almost catching the motorist behind me by surprise. They managed to avoid my muffler. The muffler had a good run since I bought the truck in 2012 with a rusty muffler. I patched it once with some sheet metal and a welder. It lasted for a year or so which is ok living in the rust belt. Anyway I picked up a new stainless steel walker quietflow from advance auto. The muffler was $99.99 so I had to add .99 nail clippers to get the order to $100 so I then could use the code TFT41 to get $40 off. On top of that walker has a $30 prepaid visa mail in rebate. So the $100 stainless steel muffler came out to around $35. Works for me with a lifetime warranty. Pic of my old muffler below.
6zmy51.jpg

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
ANd who cares what might have happened to the guy behind you, cheapskate.

For as bad as the muffler looks it wasn't that loud driving down the road. I keep an eye on my muffler every few days. It didn't show any signs of falling off. It just kind of happened all the sudden. I thought it got louder because something broke internally not because it was hanging off. I was on a back road with a parking lot not to far ahead so that's where I went. And I do care what happens to the guy behind me. I just didn't think the muffler was detached and hanging by one of the clamps. At least I went back and picked it up. Many people would just keep driving. I certainly didn't want someone to hit it.

Last edited:
I remember during WWII we used furnace cement and tin cans to repair exhaust systems on cars, nothing was available on the market because of the war. Bailing wire went a long way toward fixing stuff.

Smoky

Years ago the parts stores always had a barrel of Thrush or Cherry Bomb mufflers right near the checkout. You could pick up a muffler, clamp and a few straps for under 20 bucks to DIY it in your driveway.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Years ago the parts stores always had a barrel of Thrush or Cherry Bomb mufflers right near the checkout. You could pick up a muffler, clamp and a few straps for under 20 bucks to DIY it in your driveway.

I remember that!

Also, remember all the exhaust parts hanging in the back? It's all special order now. Then again, exhaust parts seem to last 10x longer than they did years ago, thankfully.

You can still get a Thrush muffler for around $20 with coupons from AA. And this is a normal-looking muffler, not an obvious glass-pack.

I've had a few. Sound quiet enough.

I thought about going the glasspack route because it was cheap. I'm happy with my purchase. Truck is nice and quiet. Now I notice all the other odd sounds it makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back