Should I or shouldn't I start maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought my first new car...2015 Nissan Versa with 125 miles. Car is used to commute.

Should I start or hold off on adding fuel additives? I've read about Redline and that it can be added every gas tank as a preventative. Or if I should start now, which product would you recommend as a preventative for a new car?

I wouldn't run fuel additives on such a new vehicle. Techron isn't terrible, but something with 125 miles isn't going to have plugged up injectors.

Make sure you check for rod knock - some of those engines came from the factory with rod knock.

Enjoy the Versa! Those are one of the most practical cars on the market.

Originally Posted By: jahwarrior1423
Should I start or hold off on adding fuel additives? I've read about Redline and that it can be added every gas tank as a preventative. Or if I should start now, which product would you recommend as a preventative for a new car?

Sounds like a good way to sell additives.

Every experience is local of course, but I've used a fuel additive once in all the miles on my current vehicles. That was when I had a rough idle on the BMW, and that turned out to be a pushed-back pin in a connector for the fuel management system. Unless someone can make the argument that your fuel is radically "worse" in quality and could somehow benefit from an additive, I just don't see a need.

And I have had the oil in three out of the four cars tested for fuel at times, none of the reports came back as abnormal.

Originally Posted By: jahwarrior1423
Bought my first new car...2015 Nissan Versa with 125 miles. Car is used to commute.

Should I start or hold off on adding fuel additives? I've read about Redline and that it can be added every gas tank as a preventative. Or if I should start now, which product would you recommend as a preventative for abandoned new car?

Dude your rolling a versa....it doesn't matter

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
every tank? no
before your oil and filter change? yes
techron, gumout, redline, valvoline and many other good ones out there.

This^ plus... If set on eventually using additives, i wouldn't do so until the vehicle reaches 10K miles.

Originally Posted By: FranklinJL

Yeah, save you money, don't spend it on snake oils and you'll have more money for the next nicer car.

How this helps the OP i have no idea.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I think Dude is rolling something else.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
every tank? no
before your oil and filter change? yes
techron, gumout, redline, valvoline and many other good ones out there.

+1

More interesting story is the OP got a 2 year old car with 125 miles unless it's a typo.

You shouldn't need to have to do any preventative maintenance if you are using good fuel.

That being said, my personal experience and usage is redline si-1 is beneficial. It often does make engines and butt dyno feel like it runs smoother, but I attribute this to having UCL and not specifically due to the cleaning... So after the treated tank runs out, by the 2nd tanks of untreated gas, it'll lose that smoothness.

If you're really itching, you can go ahead and just try it along the lines of every oil change. There is little downside, just keep your mind open that it might not have anything to clean and it does nothing.

Given the Versa has a small tank, and redline is pretty potent; you could divide a bottle of redline into two or four doses worth of treatment (but a bit of a pain to dose unless you have another empty redline bottle that you can use to portion it out to). So this is not tooo expensive an experiment to make your gut feel better.

Last edited:
What does the owner's manual say?

I wouldn't do anything like this while under warranty. If something is wrong, it's unlikely to be an issue fixed by a fuel additive in such a short time.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
More interesting story is the OP got a 2 year old car with 125 miles unless it's a typo.

You shouldn't need to have to do any preventative maintenance if you are using good fuel.

That being said, my personal experience and usage is redline si-1 is beneficial. It often does make engines and butt dyno feel like it runs smoother, but I attribute this to having UCL and not specifically due to the cleaning... So after the treated tank runs out, by the 2nd tanks of untreated gas, it'll lose that smoothness.

If you're really itching, you can go ahead and just try it along the lines of every oil change. There is little downside, just keep your mind open that it might not have anything to clean and it does nothing.

Given the Versa has a small tank, and redline is pretty potent; you could divide a bottle of redline into two or four doses worth of treatment (but a bit of a pain to dose unless you have another empty redline bottle that you can use to portion it out to). So this is not tooo expensive an experiment to make your gut feel better.

typo is possible, also possible that 2015's are left on the lot, i bought a pick up like that many years ago(an '89 late in '90) at a great discount and i still have that truck today.

Because it is the best advice he received in the thread so far. Its a brand new car that's been sitting on the lot for 2 years. Id be more worried about the gas in the tank. And the charge of the battery.

Put gas in it. Change the oil per the manual. Nothing more, nothing less.

+1; I guess since it isn't an expensive car, no need to maintain it. He can just go out an buy something else when this breaks, after, of course, being crucified on BITOG for not maintaining it.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
+1; I guess since it isn't an expensive car, no need to maintain it. He can just go out an buy something else when this breaks, after, of course, being crucified on BITOG for not maintaining it.

Using a fuel additive is maintenance? Am I not maintaining my vehicles properly by not using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back