Battery Date Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a couple of vehicle batteries today, and the date code on both is J6. Am I correct in assuming that the date codes are October of 2016?

qd2WpMi.jpg

In this case J6 would mean the battery is made in September 2016. The year digit cycles every decade so 6 could be 2006 or 2016 or 2026

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They also skip "I" on a lot of numbering systems because it looks too much like "1"

Did not know that. Still learning!

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
qd2WpMi.jpg

In this case J6 would mean the battery is made in September 2016. The year digit cycles every decade so 6 could be 2006 or 2016 or 2026

Thanks. Even September means they are reasonably fresh.

Originally Posted By: Uregina09

Have you ever heard of the search engine called Google? You might want to try it.

I did. I couldn't find any solid information about the two digit date code-mostly just a bunch of speculation and misinformation from people who really didn't know. Now you may crawl back into the woodwork.

Did you buy your batteries from a Kmart closeout?

I stumbled upon their batteries when I found myself in a Kmart (closeout) and was surprised they used a 2 digit sticker vs the mm/yy format sticker. They had a piece of paper decipering the date codes taped to the battery rack so seeing this post reminded me of that.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
They also skip "I" on a lot of numbering systems because it looks too much like "1"

What a timely topic. I was reading this last night: http://www.batteryfaq.org/

I know, riveting! Or should I say, shocking?

Originally Posted By: BigD1

Same reason you don't see "I" on a VIN. I always chuckle to myself when a customer spends a minute on the phone trying to decide if they are looking at a 1 or I. Seems every time I tell them "its a 1" they want to argue the point. The same people are the ones that argue why I asked for a VIN when their 2003 Ranger turns out to be a 2007 Explorer Sport Trac.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I think I may have seen a future date coded battery like November 2016
crazy2.gif

I have too! When I bought my Camry battery they had a February one when we were still in January. Different group size so I didn't buy it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Originally Posted By: Uregina09

Have you ever heard of the search engine called Google? You might want to try it.

I did. I couldn't find any solid information about the two digit date code-mostly just a bunch of speculation and misinformation from people who really didn't know. Now you may crawl back into the woodwork.

Come on pops... for all the junk you throw at others???

I put a simple query into the google machine of "battery date codes"

I got this as the second result:

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/content/resources/pdf/How_old_is_your_battery.pdf

From your favorite vendor no less.

Simple logic would allow the year code to be extrapolated.

September 2016 is about as good as you can get... Id still put it on a smart charger before putting into service. IMO its good practice since batteries do self discharge naturally.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

50.gif

I also know who won in November, but I ain't sayin.
wink.gif

Wal-Mart QC at its best?!?

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
qd2WpMi.jpg

If purchased at Kmart it could be from 2006 or 1996 or 1986.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino

50.gif

I also know who won in November, but I ain't sayin.
wink.gif

I knew you were a time traveler!

Why the silly letter codes? Why not a easier date code system, like 10/16?

probably don't want you picking only the newest off the shelves.

Why the silly letter codes? Why not a easier date code system, like 10/16?

The Motorcraft batteries use normal codes. We are getting ones delivered now that say "9/6 or 9/16" I forget exactly, but no cryptic letter codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back