Bmw 328i oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's BMW (see sig) no longer gets dealership oil changes so it's on me. I will be using valv syn 5w30 and oem oil filter. I checked the manual and it does not say oil capacity. I checked the web and it ranges from 5-7 qts. Anyone know exactly what the oil capacity is? Any advice as this is my first Euro car oil change. Thanks.

Unless you are using an OES version of Synpower that most folks do not have access to, SynPower 5w30 is not LL01 approved. Amsoil's website has a lookup tool that will give you the oil capacities.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
My wife's BMW (see sig) no longer gets dealership oil changes so it's on me. I will be using valv syn 5w30 and oem oil filter. I checked the manual and it does not say oil capacity. I checked the web and it ranges from 5-7 qts. Anyone know exactly what the oil capacity is? Any advice as this is my first Euro car oil change. Thanks.

There is NO Valvoline 5W30 that meets LL-01!
Get Castrol 0W40 in Wal Mart.
BMW 5W30 is compeltely different animal and MUCH thicker oil then Valvoline 5W30, Mobil1 5W30, Pennzoil 5W30 and other ILSAC GF-5 oils.
You need oil that meets BMW LL-01 specification and it has to be listed in the back of package. Best bet: Castrol 0W40 that goes for $27 for 5qt jug in Wal Mart.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Unless you are using an OES version of Synpower that most folks do not have access to, SynPower 5w30 is not LL01 approved. Amsoil's website has a lookup tool that will give you the oil capacities.

+1. For that engine I'd run Castrol 0w-40 for the best startup/cold temp performance, though in socal it doesn't matter much.

This is a pic I took of the BMW service and warranty info booklet that came w the car.

I'm not married to valv syn, I have no issues running any of the above listed oils.

Last edited:
This is a pic I took of the BMW service and warranty info booklet that came w the car.

That is in case if you cannot get ANYTHING that carries LL-01 specification, and you should dump that generic SM oil once you get your hands on LL-01.
EDIT: That booklet is either outdated or wrong. Valvoline DOES NOT sell 5W30 LL-01 in the U.S. and Mobil1 0W40 LOST LL-01 specification.

Last edited:
No problem as long as the container of Synpower 5W-30 you buy states it carries Longlife-01.

But remember, it isn't about the list of oils in that book, it is about the approval. Lists are outdated the moment they are printed.

I'm not married to valv syn, I have no issues running any of the above listed oils.

Oil choice is not the issue. I'll use BMW 5w30 oil from the dealer. More important, do u know if it's 5 or 7 qts? Is there a oil reset? I'll keep searching

More important, do u know if it's 5 or 7 qts?

2013 328i had two engines offered depending on body style, correct?

Sedan 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo 5.3 quarts

Coupe/Convertible 3.0L 6-cylinder naturally aspirated 6.9 quarts

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
More important, do u know if it's 5 or 7 qts?

2013 328i had two engines offered depending on body style, correct?

Sedan 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo 5.3 quarts

Coupe/Convertible 3.0L 6-cylinder naturally aspirated 6.9 quarts

Thank you, nothingnew. My wife has the 4cyl Turbo sedan

Oil choice is not the issue. I'll use BMW 5w30 oil from the dealer. More important, do u know if it's 5 or 7 qts? Is there a oil reset? I'll keep searching

Actually oil choice in your case is extremely importnt issue.
ILSAC GF-5 oils have much higher NOACK (evaporation loss) the LL-01 oils, and are on thin side of 5W30. Since your engine is Direct injection, you might develop sooner rather then later carbon deposit issue.
Also, those oils in Euro turbo applications do not do good.
As for sump capacity, it is almost exactly 5ltr, or 5.015ltr. So if you buy BMW OEM 5W30 LL-01 oil, you need 5 bottles.
Also, Any of these oils will do good:
1. Castrol 0W40
2. Castrol 0W30
3. Pennzoil Platinum 5W40
4. Motul X-Cess 5W40

NAPA has very often sales on oils, and again, Wal Mart and Castrol 0W40 is probably best and cheapest option.

5w30 SynPower MST meets it. I know AutoZone occasionally carries it...

5w30 SynPower does not...

Longlife-01?

Originally Posted By: wemay

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay

5w30 SynPower does not...

Valvoline 5W30 MST meets BMW LL-04 NOT LL-01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back