Upgrading radiator hoses to silicone

According to this video, these reinforced silicone hoses are compatible with ethylene glycol:

Do silicone hoses last any longer than OEM rubber radiator hoses?

OEM rubber will easily last 200K+ on average. No need for this. Unless it's running right next to exhaust or some other major heat source.

I replaced the OE hoses on the Jeep just because they were 12 years old. 4 years later, one of them blows out.

Guess OE only is what one has to buy.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
How is this an "Upgrade" ?

They're blue!

But I agree with the other, I have had no issues with OEM hoses on our Hondas, some are a little over 15 years old now and still feel pliable and have no leaks.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
How is this an "Upgrade" ?

Upgrade is one of the most overused words today. It is, in most cases, jargon to rationalize or encourage discretionary purchases. I wish it were used less often, though.

Let me rephrase my original question then, to avoid any ambiguity.

When it becomes time to replace worn out OEM radiator hoses, do silicone hoses offer any durability advantage over rubber?

The ones on my cars certainly did. I changed them out at some point over 200,000 miles, just because it had been a long time and I thought it might be a good idea. The old ones looked fine though.

Same for my BMW too, they are Kevlar reinforced and the rubber compound stays pliable. Hoses just don't seem to be something that wears out very easily.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I don't know what the Japanese make hose from it lasts a long time.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I don't know what the Japanese make hose from it lasts a long time.
It depends on which manufacturer you are talking about.

Hose life wasn't very impressive for the Nissan Altima from 1993 to 2001, and the Sentra wasn't any better.

Anyway, getting back to the original topic, I don't really like the idea of a universal hose being used to replace a molded hose, and for that reason I would keep using molded rubber hoses. There is an alternative that exists for some cars. Gates makes some blue hoses that are already molded for specific car models. Unfortunately, I don't know if they make them for the car you have.

According to others here, they must have drastically improved hoses over the last 30 years or so. I had a 1986 Honda Civic whose upper radiator hose sprung a leak in 1995 when the car was 9 years old. I then replaced all the radiator and heater hoses.

I didn't have to replace any hoses on my 1989 Accord until it was about 20 years old. A couple of small bypass hoses sprung leaks. At that point I went ahead and replaced ALL of the coolant hoses. But, yes, they do last very long.

Another anecdote weighing in. Had to change out the original radiator on an 01 Civic with 203k miles, in early 2014. Since I had to take the hoses off anyway decided to replace them while there. But really inspection of the hoses revealed they could have gone much longer imo, they looked good. Below is a pic of old on right vs new from this thread. Second anecdote, original hoses on 01 Tacoma with 145k miles now, still look and feel good.

So, thinking the silicone hose exchange cost benefit is not worth it.

TYCRad015.jpg

These would be great for non-oem applications, like a motor swap. Or to replace preformed heater hoses that exist on some cars. They are quite expensive.

This is considered an upgrade for her Volvo and I just don't get it. Sure it's fast 'n sporty, but this is just over the top. US made Gates hoses for her car are roughly $10 on RA.

While I am at it, I should buy a red or yellow valve cover for my 4.0 too.

Careful on judging how long hoses last though. They always look new on the outside, but deteriorate on the inside.

Back