Nissan Rogue '13, TGMO 5w30, 5144mi.. thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a family member's 13 Nissan Rogue using Toyota 5w30 and a Nissan brand oil filter. Had them get a particle count, wanted to know how the nissan filter was doing.

I would like everyone's opinion on this oil analysis and the particle count.

Also, I was noticing the silicon is higher, doesn't that usually mean time for an engine air filter replacement? Let me know.

Last edited:
If it is normal to have 1.4 particles per ml, at 38 microns size, it should be fine. The problematic size is above 10 microns and below 30 microns. Yours is a little high, but aceptable for a full flow.

Last edited:
Oil is as good. OCI could increase further.
Was previous UOA on Toyota oil as well ? what was previous mileage?

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
If it is normal to have 1.4 particles per ml, at 38 microns size, it should be fine. The problematic size is above 10 microns and below 30 microns. Yours is a little high, but aceptable for a full flow.

Yeah I was trying to interpret that data, I thought it was a bit much, that's why I had to ask. I'm thinking that I might try a WIX filter. Been seeing good results here on BITOG. Or maybe Nissan traded filtering for flow? Couldn't hurt to try a WIX next time. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted By: zeng
Oil is as good. OCI could increase further.
Was previous UOA on Toyota oil as well ? what was previous mileage?

The previous oil was some no-name stuff from a quick lube place my aunt was going to. And some jobber/no-name filter. The mileage was around 4500, she didn't write that in for Blackstone.

I like the toyota oil too, but I'm thinking with a higher silicon level, have to look at the air filter to see if it's dirty again. She's out in the country, thinking the dirt roads are helping to get that filter dirty quicker.

I would make sure the intake tract is tight.

A slightly loaded filter should capture better than a new one provided it's not structurally damaged.

Looks good, oil could go longer. As others have mentioned, check air filter and make sure you have a good seal - use grease if needed. Dirt roads are very hard on air filters.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Looks good, oil could go longer. As others have mentioned, check air filter and make sure you have a good seal - use grease if needed. Dirt roads are very hard on air filters.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
I would make sure the intake tract is tight.

A slightly loaded filter should capture better than a new one provided it's not structurally damaged.

I will check on her car when I have a chance. She had used a wix air filter for the first oil analysis and this last one was a Nissan air filter. It looked like it was sealing properly. But I agree that the air intake tract should be looked at. Because the silicon numbers are too similar on the lab results and I'm thinking that possibly the cover for the air box isn't sealing enough. It's just a cheap clip on plastic cover. Nothing like other vehicles I've had that require some pressure to close that lid.

And yes dirt roads don't help at all! Thanks for the advice! I will be looking at this in the next couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back