Excessive condensation on A/C line, bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just test drove a 2005 Ford Econoline conversion van w/dual A/C. A/C put out cold air, but it didn't seem as cold as it should be, seemed "moist" inside.

The A/C lines under the hood had a LOT of condensation on them. Is this ok?

You will notice the hotter and more humid the outside temp is, the condensation will increase.

You can bring a thermometer with you. Shove it in the outlet and expect to see 45-55 deg if things are normal.

Went for a used car test drive in mid- summer once and the AC clearly wasn't working. I had the windows up and I was getting quite uncomfortable. It was only 85 deg out. Finally took the windows down. At the end of the test drive I said it was pretty good except for no AC (note I also checked it before the test drive and noticed no activity under hood). He scoffed at me and said, it certainly WAS working. That didn't sit well with me. I handed back the keys and told him I had no more interest. 2 days later he calls me back and says I was right....and they were going to fix the AC. Sheesh. I still had zero interest in pursuing anything with that dealership.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
What is dual A/C, is it dual climate control or two actual A/C systems under the hood?

Has Front & Rear Evaporator units working off 1 Compressor & Condenser. Factory installed Dual A/C units work OK if you take in account the HUGE interior volume of a full size van.

Dirty cabin air filter or partially clogged evap core impeeding airflow? Stick a small meat thermometer in the dash vent and note the cold temp.

The suction line under-the-hood sweating is normal.

If you want it to get cold set it to front only. When you run both you're cooling two evaporators instead of one so you won't get as cold vent temps as just chilling the front evap alone. (Rear evap is TXV controlled and is effectively cut off when you shut off rear blower, front evap has orifice tube and is always being chilled)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back