Cant get a type 49N at walmart near me

Status
Not open for further replies.
The walmarts near me do not carry the type 49N I need for my 2007 Audi A6. According to their battery finder in store they say car calls for H7 which has 790 CCA vs 850 for the 49N. I dont want a battery with less CCA as car is parked outside and it does get cold in the winter(New Jersey). I am thinking of going with Duralast Gold H8 instead. Any thought on Duralast gold batteries from autozone or Autocraft gold from advance. Autozone is near to me and would be better

AAP Autocraft and Autozone Duralast are probably the same battery, made by JCI. AAP probably has a better price, though, especially with the promo codes
smile.gif

If there is a Napa, Kmart, or Sears nearby, I'd go there, as their batteries are made by Deka.

there are only a few battery makers but many labels! be sure its a recently manufactured battery if its sealed AGM batteries are best but cost more!!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
AAP Autocraft and Autozone Duralast are probably the same battery, made by JCI. AAP probably has a better price, though, especially with the promo codes
smile.gif

If there is a Napa, Kmart, or Sears nearby, I'd go there, as their batteries are made by Deka.

There is a sears by me they have a type 49n AGM. is that better????
http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-go...mp;blockType=G3

Not sure what a 49N is, but a number of my cars have taken group 49 batteries, and I've noticed a trend to dual-rate an H8 battery as a group 49. AAP has a nice AGM H8.

I almost always used Auto Zone Gold i used to pay $90.00 for them at commercial they are still $90.00 and sometimes $100.00 i dont know if they are still a good battery ... Some say Interstate batteries are better and sometimes cheaper at Costco.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You've got a $45,000+ car. Spend the money on a $149 battery at O'Reillys.

+1

A 10 year old Audi is hardly a $45K car. Not even worth $10K. And likely worth less than $5K (KBB shows $5K private party value on that car with standard equipment and 120K miles) . No need to drop a $180 AGM in that thing.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A 10 year old Audi is hardly a $45K car. Not even worth $10K. And likely worth less than $5K (KBB shows $5K private party value on that car with standard equipment and 120K miles) . No need to drop a $180 AGM in that thing.

The car may have a valid reason to need an AGM or better battery. I doubt a flooded group 49, with coupon, is much less than $140 anyway at a parts store, with coupon.

It's not worth that now, but it's still a high end $45,000+ car itself.

If you buy a high end car, you need to be prepared for high end repairs and expensive parts. You can't expect an older Audi to just use cheap Chinese parts like a Corolla.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
The walmarts near me do not carry the type 49N I need for my 2007 Audi A6.

G6ooqNC.png

As for the group 49 thing, here's the first review from the Walmart site:
"I was looking for a replacement for a OEM 2012 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 Van Group 49 Battery. Walmart's EverStart H8 is a size group 49 battery. Although the handle is different (single large grey handle vs. 2 smaller handles. In the fold down position the dimensions are identical and fits the battery tray perfectly. The orientation of the positive and negative terminals are correct, as well as the vent port. Under the grey cap of the positive terminal port cover is a removal vent plug to plug up the vent port you will not be using. For the Mercedes Sprinter the port vent is located on the negative terminal size. So the vent plug will used in the positive terminal side. The Mercedes battery bracket on the negative terminal side that locks the battery in the driver side floor tray fits the EverStart Maxx H8 battery perfectly. Because it is made by Johnston Control, it is the same battery quality as more expensive batteries out there from other auto part stores."

You need to use the AGM battery in cars like that - it's not a Acura/Lexus/Infiniti or a Cadillac/Lincoln where the cheapest Wal-Mart or Costco special will work in most cases.

German electrical systems are fragile - there is a ECM that's mounted near the battery that controls the power distribution system. I'd also be worried about "coding" the battery parameters into the car via VAG-COM as well.

Don't recall needing to do battery coding on my 2004 VW, but that was... 2004. Zero clue about what VW does today.

Got curious what this "coding" business is about. Sounds like one could change to the profile from flooded to AGM; not sure about the reverse. But it also puts in other info. Link

Quote:
The electrical system in late-model BMWs is so sophisticated that it tailors charging as closely as possible to both the type and age of the battery. There's a computer that controls the alternator. When you replace a battery, this computer really needs to know if you've replaced the battery or updated the vehicle from a conventional Lead Acid battery to an Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) type; it charges the AGM differently than a traditional battery.

Quote:
This Service Function informs the vehicle that the battery has been replaced. It completes the following operations:

- Battery capacity is set to 80

- Current Odometer reading are stored. The odometer readings at which the last seven battery replacements took place

can be read off from the Diagnosis Requests of Control Unit Functions

- Stored battery statistics (current, voltage, battery charge level) are deleted

- Stored temperature statistics are deleted

Originally Posted By: raaizin
The walmarts near me do not carry the type 49N I need for my 2007 Audi A6. According to their battery finder in store they say car calls for H7 which has 790 CCA vs 850 for the 49N. I dont want a battery with less CCA as car is parked outside and it does get cold in the winter(New Jersey). I am thinking of going with Duralast Gold H8 instead. Any thought on Duralast gold batteries from autozone or Autocraft gold from advance. Autozone is near to me and would be better

Get the H7 (or the Valupower) and don't worryabout it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back