Mirrors Repainted Quote: Good Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clear coat failed on the plastic caps on my side mirrors and they've become badly faded. A local shop quoted me $75 to repaint the pair. That's with me removing them, dropping them off, and me reinstalling them.

Is that a fair price? The vehicles paint looks great for being 8 years old. It's just too bad that the mirrors faded so badly.

That is a really good price. We get charged $150 each for painted mirror covers at teh shop we use. After price shopping other places, that was the cheapest. The majority of the price is the cost and disposal of the paint.

Thanks for the reply. I've never had and body work or painting done before but this shop comes highly recommended. The car is a '08 CX-9 GT with Galaxy Gray Mica paint btw.

That's incredibly cheap. Are they doing the prep work and using clearcoat over paint? I paid $300 for six pieces of motorcycle fairings a few years back.

I like 2010 Civic's suggestion. How much are new pieces? If they are cheaper, do that and then wax or seal them so they do not fade.

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
I like 2010 Civic's suggestion. How much are new pieces? If they are cheaper, do that and then wax or seal them so they do not fade.

I think that they'd be pretty pricey. I'm sure that bdcardinal would know for sure. Definitely going to wax or seal them. What do you recommend?

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: DeafBrad

I think that they'd be pretty pricey. I'm sure that bdcardinal would know for sure. Definitely going to wax or seal them. What do you recommend?

Probably but you never know. I just assumed they would be for my car but I looked on a Honda parts website and they are $31 a piece. Which is a steal for what you are getting.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The pre-painted ones from Mazda are around $57 each.

So he would save about 39 bucks getting them painted. So he would have to take them off the car and wait for the shop to paint them. It could easily be several days until they are painted and ready to go back on. If it was me I might just buy the new ones.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
The pre-painted ones from Mazda are around $57 each.

So he would save about 39 bucks getting them painted. So he would have to take them off the car and wait for the shop to paint them. It could easily be several days until they are painted and ready to go back on. If it was me I might just buy the new ones.

Agreed.

Might just be my lack of knowledge/experience with automotive paint and body work but I'd think that the factory would be a closer match and be higher quality
21.gif

Might just be my lack of knowledge/experience with automotive paint and body work but I'd think that the factory would be a closer match and be higher quality
21.gif

Higher quality, no. The OE paint is mediocre at best, its thin, lesser quality material on all but the more expensive cars, his OE clear is already failing. Better match, possibly IF the rest f the car isn't faded but that's usually not an issue with mirrors and plastic trim pieces.
IMO for the replacement cost just treat them as a periodic wear item and replace them, your not getting them high end painted for $75 unless they clear them along with another refinish job then I would definitely paint them.

Even Paul would NOT turn on his paint gun for $75! As Paul alluded, you don't get good paint job for peanuts.

The only possible issue is if the rest of the car has any paint fade.

At first I thought that I mirrors faded because they were paint over plastic but the front and rear bumpers are plastic and they're fine. The car has been parked in a garage it's whole life so the paint is in pretty good shape besides the mirrors.

Originally Posted By: Trav
21.gif

Higher quality, no. The OE paint is mediocre at best, its thin, lesser quality material on all but the more expensive cars, his OE clear is already failing. Better match, possibly IF the rest f the car isn't faded but that's usually not an issue with mirrors and plastic trim pieces.
IMO for the replacement cost just treat them as a periodic wear item and replace them, your not getting them high end painted for $75 unless they clear them along with another refinish job then I would definitely paint them.

Good advice. Thank you.

I had a shop color match a fender to the factory color on our 08 matrix.

Paint looks terrible, need to pay extra to fade the color into the adjacent panels. It really looks bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back