Damaged Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had to remove perfectly new filters with the below type of oil filter wrench because I can't find my simple cap wrench. For one reason or other, I had threaded the filter on after draining the oil and then decided to remove the filter...but the filter was actually unused.

https://www.zoro.com/westward-oil-filter...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

I usually use that wrench when I don't care about my oil filter.

It dents the filter up upon removal. I was curious as to how bad a dent you can sustain and still have a good filter? I don't really understand what filters are like internally, but I'd assume that there are pleats sitting right underneath that casing.

I'd also guess that I'd be crazy to use a filter with any damage at all.

Thanks

I'd question how tight you're actually installing those filters to have to remove them using that wrench.

I've been doing my own oil/filter on my cars, including my current 2010 Fusion, myself.. and I always hand-tighten the filter. Next Oil/Filter change, I am always able to remove the filter by hand without much work, and I never get leaks for the entire 7,500 mile run. Hand-tight should always be sufficient.

.. If you're tightening them so tight that you have to use that wrench AND you have to grip/turn so hard that you're denting the filter, then I'd say you have your filters on too tight.

Just my $.02

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I'd question how tight you're actually installing those filters to have to remove them using that wrench.

I've been doing my own oil/filter on my cars, including my current 2010 Fusion, myself.. and I always hand-tighten the filter. Next Oil/Filter change, I am always able to remove the filter by hand without much work, and I never get leaks for the entire 7,500 mile run. Hand-tight should always be sufficient.

.. If you're tightening them so tight that you have to use that wrench AND you have to grip/turn so hard that you're denting the filter, then I'd say you have your filters on too tight.

Just my $.02

+1. I put them on hand tight and then use a strap wrench to make it a little tighter.

Try a rubber strap wrench next time.

The only time I have ever had a hard time removing a filter is usually the first oil change on a new car. They must have a gorilla working at that spot on the production line.

Exactly. I think that is done on purpose too.

Originally Posted By: Bud
The only time I have ever had a hard time removing a filter is usually the first oil change on a new car. They must have a gorilla working at that spot on the production line.

I always tighten them hand tight...as tight as my bare hands can make it. I then proceed to remove it without even adding oil and it's so tight that I must remove it by wrench.

I don't think anyone mentioned how dented a filter can be and not be damaged.

I do have a strap wrench laying around...RATS

Last edited:
Quote:
I always tighten them hand tight...as tight as my bare hands can make it. I then proceed to remove it without even adding oil and it's so tight that I must remove it by wrench.

I don't think anyone mentioned how dented a filter can be and not be damaged.

Hand tightening is best practice, but it should be no more than 2/3-3/4 turn after gasket contact with engine block. And gasket should be pre-lubed with thin layer of oil prior to installation.

Ideally no dent is best obviously. No one can say how dented a filter can be and still be useable. Depends on how badly and where. In my experience, cap or adjustable cam type(Lisle or OEM brand) filter wrench works best if practicable to avoid dents.

My advice, try to avoid "one reason or another" to remove unused filter from block. Think the old saying with 6Ps , prior planning prevents [censored] poor performance.
55.gif

One reason or another still beats the alternative. I'll not mess with these dented filters. Appreciated.

Use a DENSO oil filter and don't worry about over tightening. They have a built in torque stop which bottoms on the block oil filter purchase. This assures that the engineered J ring seal is deformed to design specs(that's how o-rings work).

Some people seem to tighten oil filters so tight that its even hard for a wrench to remove them.. I tighten by hand as tight as i can get them and maybe an 1/8 of a turn with a filter wrench.. There can be issues with a filter that someone tightens up super tight!

I lube up the gasket really well, and then I tighten them to first contact of the gasket plus 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. I have quite a collection of cap wrenches, and since I use the cap wrench to tighten them, I'm always sure that I have the correct wrench to remove them. Using this technique, I've never run into trouble.

To cover me for a different filter, I have an adjustable tool that has 3 fingers and pushes into the can the harder it's turned. This covers me for the first time I get a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back