Recommend me a project car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am finally at the stage in life where I can start a project car! I have set a budget of 10-15k for total cost, i am reasonable at DIY car work. I am wanting something sporty that i can swap in a decent output engine, manual transmission is a must. I am a fan of muscle cars as well as sporty inports. Parts availability and aftermarket support is a must. Do you have any suggestions?

I'd sell my 08 Mustang for 15k. Not really a project car though
cool.gif

I'd have to agree with the 80s Mustang/Camaro. Tons of after market support for engine swaps and general upgrades. Another route for sporty imports could be something like an integra. Again, TONS of after market support, and basically any Honda engine will swap right in.

Look for a 1st gen rx7 with a dead motor. Grannyspeedshop makes kits for ford and chevy swaps and they are a breeze. The 302 swap I did took maybe 6 hours worth of work time in my driveway with one of their kits And I ended up spending less than 2500 for the car, engine, and kit I used. The bodies are rigid and good for easily 500 horsepower without stiffening them up. The rear end is a little bit of a weak link, but can easily handle 300 horsepower motors as long as you aren't hard launching every day of the week. Grannyspeed makes a ford 8.8 rear end for more than that though. My rx7 with the 302 and t5 swapped in (haven't dynoed but unsure of power numbers would guess around 200 horsepower and 250 ft/lb of torque) weight in at 2300 lbs. That does include sacrificing some creature comforts like Air con. Plus you get looks left and right. People swear it is a Porsche and when you get pulled over the police tend to give you a laugh when you tell them it has an american motor under the hood. It is just fun all the way around. And it is the best of both Japanese and American.

I would ideally like a car with fairly decent safety features as well, such as airbags or atleast reinforcing the chassis. That unfortunetaly narrows it down a bunch. Any other suggestions

Last edited:
A G-body (80's Monte Carlo, Regal, etc) would be a possibility. They're cheap and have plenty of aftermarket support. You'd have to swap in a manual transmission and I'm not sure how easy that would be.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I would ideally like a car with fairly decent safety features as well, such as airbags or atleast reinforcing the chassis. That unfortunetaly narrows it down a bunch. Any other suggestions

This is tough as anything of the 80s or early 90s wasnt exactly "safe" by todays standards. I think drive airbags on the Mustang came about in 1990. Of course with any of these options you can get a cage or subframe connectors (more for rigidity with those). But even a cage isnt exactly safe. safe in the event of a rollover, but not safe for typical road accidents.

10 to 15k total cost?

I guess you could go different ways. Spend more up front to get something with a better platform and less work; or cheaper up front and spend later.

Sounds like you want later model, for safety? I see you are in KY, which doesn't have safety or emissions checking; not sure if you want to count on OBD checks "never" popping up. If you never have to worry about that, then you could grab a late model whatever, and have at your hearts content.

I'm not sure how much is out there, I haven't followed the scene for a long time. I suspect your best bet is to plan on doing a manual swap, no matter what. You could do a slammed F150/C1500, otherwise a pony car, maybe even a Vette. A plain-jane V6/auto version might be best: low purchase cost, and then you could pick and chose everything you wanted to upgrade.

Not sure if you're interested in a project truck but, I'm in search of a decent 99-02 Ram 2500 with the Cummins but finding one that's close to stock is hard to find. They're a good platform if you're interested in diesels.

Semi-newer, aftermarket support, air bags, general safety

4th gen F Body - Good power off the bat, TONS of aftermarket, manuals are easy to obtain, starting price under $7000 leaving up to $8000 for play toys.

IMO, the best gateway into the hobby and the most practical (and forgiving) first project car is a pickup truck. 60s-80s Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, doesn't matter. Parts are plentiful, they're simple, lots of room for just about any affordable driveline swap you can think of, and they are a whole lotta fun. And they don't demand to be nearly as cosmetically perfect as a vintage muscle car would.

I know, I know... you said "sporty." So lower it, and make it a handler- its not difficult at all and is a direction a lot of people go with trucks. And its still cheaper than starting with an actual sporty car in most cases.

If you ever want to get some of your money back out skip the safety features and go pre-1975 anything. That's saleable out here in Calif w/o smog, so huge potential customer base. Do a decent job with decent paint and you MIGHT be able to get most of your money back when you sell.

1974 Camaro or any El Camino would be very nice. Lots of parts and support. A-Body (Chevelle, GS, Tempest, etc.) would be a good choice. EFI Big Block with a 4 or 5 speed would make an impressive ride.

As stated, any pick-up truck or panel van would do too
smile.gif

Something like a Chevy LUV truck with a small block could be very quick and fun
laugh.gif

Or, the universal thing, a CJ Jeep with a small block and decently built suspension (compliant with articulation) will be big fun and good seller. Same for an IH Scout. Early Bronco is already out of your price range ...

You have lots of choices, but if you insist on "modern safety features" you are sort of going against the grain ...

You could also look at a 1988 or later Porsche 944 which does have all your required safety features and is a decent sports car for a project. Parts are plentiful in the used market and there are plenty of rust buck donor cars to swap stuff from. A turbo will get the machine's attentions...

Last edited:
You could pick up a 2005-2009 Mustang for around $8k and under 100k miles. Then throw a Roush stage 2 supercharger kit on it. That gets you 550hp/500lb-ft for under $15k if you do the supercharger install yourself. Not a huge project, but something to work on.

Last edited:
'68-'74 Nova-easy to work on, can handle anything from a wild BB Chevy to a standard 6 cylinder, aftermarket makes almost everything for it. Still somewhat common, but slowly fading away due to rust in these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back