DIY Sumosprings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Sumosprings, those extended polyurethane bumpstops work extremely well for intended purpose, albeit at a high price of $250+:
http://www.supersprings.com/supersprings_recreational.asp
sumo-springs.jpg
Now this thread got me thinking:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4222777/3

Why not make my own? I would use a $15 3M polyurethane cartridge and 2 empty TP rolls and make a halway decent sumospring-like extended polyurethane bumpstop for much cheaper, with quality 3M materials.

What do you think? The big unknown is the hardness rating. From my understanding 1 part is fixed harness. 2 parts allows for tuning bubbles thus hardness. For this purpose would 2-part polyurethane work better than the 3M 1 part?

How about glueing hockey pucks together? Would these be too hard for bumstops?

Feel free to share your experience if you've played around with PU.

Last edited:
Not sure about making your own but I will say don't use hockey pucks, they're pretty dense. For a little more money Firestone makes an airbag kit that I'd think would be much better suited as a solution to a saggy rear end.

I thought the Sumosprings were made of a polyurethane foam, not straight polyurethane. The problem with Sumosprings is that by the time they engage you're already sagging an inch or two and by the time they compress you still end up sagging quite a bit under load. I have the timbren and I will say that they reduce sway by a lot when loaded. Next time I'll get airbags or super springs.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
I thought the Sumosprings were made of a polyurethane foam, not straight polyurethane. The problem with Sumosprings is that by the time they engage you're already sagging an inch or two and by the time they compress you still end up sagging quite a bit under load. I have the timbren and I will say that they reduce sway by a lot when loaded. Next time I'll get airbags or super springs.

Interesting take. I guess PU can be from very foamy to very dense or infininte variations in between. From my understanding sumosprings come in various densities. For my application both the Tacoma and Tundra would fit, the Tundra sumospring is a lot denser though.
What keeps me away from the Timbren is twofold:
- Timbrens are shorter and denser and so they suddenly make contact with a "thump" that can be felt.
- Timbrens are hollow and pack easily with gravel, dirt and junk, turning over time into something that doesn't flex until it's emptied.
But this is merely hearesay as I have neither.

Last edited:
I don't notice much, if any thump. The Timbrens are an inch and a half away so they don't engage over most bumps. The Timbrens that are mounted on the axle I can see filling up with dirt. Mine hang from the frame so they are okay in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back