Do you hate it when people aren't mechanically inc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a big part of the reason were here on "Bob is the Oil Guy" is to learn things.

Quote:
You are a poster child for the idiom "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".
Coming from Pop_Rivit who doesn't know the direction of his lawn mower blade spins, that is quite rich!!! Do you want me to provide the link???

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
You are a poster child for the idiom "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".
Coming from Pop_Rivit who doesn't know the direction of his lawn mower blade spins, that is quite rich!!! Do you want me to provide the link???

LOL! I can not say anything as I have had more than a few brain cramps in very the years.

Sure, everybody has few brain cramps every now and then but do you go about touting how great you are at knowing when your lawn mower blade needs sharpening and then proudly showing incorrectly install blade? I don't think I have seen a bigger ownage than that anywhere else on the internet. I thought Pop was going to remain quiet for a while but I guess he must have forgotten that episode.

Well I don't I will ever forget it though.

This is the way of insecure, impatient, jealous men. They don't like feeling inferior compared to others. Nor being "shown up" by those willing to take the time to fix something, dig deep and increase their knowledge. After all, this takes effort.

Thus the emotional discharge at the one "causing" this disturbance. After all, he's responsible for theirfeelings, correct?

Yet who do they seek out for advice when they fall short?

Indeed....

There is a time when you'll realize you've paid your dues and you begin to charge for your expertise, knowledge, skills and ability. After all, you've earned it and built credibility.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
The air handling unit (i.e. furnace) is making a rattling noise. We need to get the A/C vendor in to look at it. It was the aluminum ladder stored leaning against the return ductwork. That'll be a $69.95 service call mam.

Could be worse.

Apparantly I'm the only one who has people thinking i'm nuts because I'm always working on or maintaining something compared to just taking it somewhere. Then those same people who think I'm nuts have the nerve to ask me for help. Just trying to re clarify my question as I think some people misunderstood what I was getting at.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I think some people misunderstood what I was getting at.

Your Subject line complained about people not being mechanically-inclined.

However, your original post complained about people disliking your activities but then asking you to perform those activities on their behalf.

No wonder folks "misunderstood" you.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
The air handling unit (i.e. furnace) is making a rattling noise. We need to get the A/C vendor in to look at it. It was the aluminum ladder stored leaning against the return ductwork. That'll be a $69.95 service call mam.

The $69.95 is a reasonable service charge. You are not just paying for the 5 mins the tech spent at your house but also for

1) The half to one hour spent driving to and from your house.
2) The cost of maintaining a service truck
3) The cost of maintaining the inventory of a fully stocked truck. Any time you have to make a second trip for a routine service call, your profit on the job takes a big hit. So you have to anticipate every unusual situation and ensure that the truck carries all the parts needed to deal with these situations. Keeping the truck stocked involves inventory management and purchasing. All this takes time and has to be paid for by the customer.
4) Sometimes the problem cannot be resolved because of factors beyond the tech's control and the customer is not going to pay if the issue has not been resolved. This wasted time has to be paid for because the tech is not working for free.
5) The time spent originally taking the call from the customer and getting as much details on the issue as possible.

I am sure many folks feel the $100/hr some shops charge to work on cars is unreasonable. I don't, as long as the job is done competently. In general, the automotive repair industry does not charge enough for their services. Of course there are shops that rip customers off and perform shoddy work.

"Do you hate it when people aren't mechanically incorporated?"

Not really; it don't bother me none.
21.gif
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back