Which way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I saw the thread about higher milage Subaru, and decided to give FutureDoc the benefit of the doubt, and look at Subaru--perhaps the problem children are fixed. Plus I had been thinking of the Panther chassis; and if a 25mpg Panther was ok, then why not a 25mpg Subaru?

So, the question is, which is better? A Grand Marquis, 2004+; or a 2000+ Subaru? I know, I know, about polar opposites. But if I could get the Subaru in green with a manual, then it'd be for the wife to drive around locally (and I might remind us that I live in rural-ish NH, and she does drive down dirt roads at least once/week). I'd get the Camry for highway commuting. Alternatively: I get a GM, again for highway commuting, and she keeps the Camry until we find a green car for her.

Budget is $3k, give or take. Condition is everything, rust is killer, going south is best, that much I know.

We've looked at new cars, but between cost, hard to find manuals and awful all-black interiors we have not seen anything that makes us want to buy.

If you don't have to deal with snow, I'd go with a panther all day over a $3k Subaru. Reliable, easy to work on, parts are plentiful at any junkyard. Plenty of size/comfort. Decent all season tires can handle dirt no problem.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I'd go with a panther

This (and look in my signature what i drive)
Op/Supton,
you already know the importance of good tires.(snow, yada, yada)
Now:
-how is the missus about the panther?
-leather or vynil for back-seats (kiddos and clean, yeah right)?

Panther isn't for her. Me, I would drive my truck in the snow; I'd probably spring for a set of snows for a Panther, given their handling prowess: but ultimately I'd drive the truck on bad weather days, and the Panther on good weather days.

Wifey doesn't drive "a lot" in the snow. School gets canceled and thus things kinda stop for her. She'll run out of course, so her car can't be awful in the snow. The Camry on A/S has been fine for her--few times not so great, but knock on wood, just fine. [It's getting snows this year.]

I don't drive "a lot" in snow either. If it's bad I stay home.

But it's still NH. We get snow, and sometimes, lots of it.

FWIW, my primary driveway doesn't have issues, and we live on the main drag. [My secondary driveway can be bad in winter, but is easily avoided.]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I'd go with a panther

This (and look in my signature what i drive)
Op/Supton,
you already know the importance of good tires.(snow, yada, yada)
Now:
-how is the missus about the panther?
-leather or vynil for back-seats (kiddos and clean, yeah right)?

I don't think she'd like a Panther. Maybe, maybe not: biggest issue is the transmission. We hate automatics. Well, I'm slowly warming up to them, but I still hate the one in my truck.

She also hates leather seats. Don't get me wrong, she would put up with a lot; but she would hate leather in a daily driver. Kids are old enough that we are past the really messy days; and this price class likely comes with pre-stained seats anyhow.

A Panther would be something she'd drive little, maybe never. She rarely drives my truck. If I got her a Subaru, it'd be her daily driver. She drives right now 25k/year; depending upon its highway manners she might drive the Subaru 15k/year, as the Camry would get long distance family trips, while the Subaru would be for around town.

At that price point I wouldn't choose, rather just look for both and buy the first one that's in good shape and meets your criteria.

I would not DD a subaru 1998-2004 unless the head gaskets were previously serviced as well as documented timing belt service. end of story.

Originally Posted By: glock19
At that price point I wouldn't choose, rather just look for both and buy the first one that's in good shape and meets your criteria.

That's actually a huge issue for me... I have to basically take time off from work to look at vehicles. M-Th evenings are busy; F is open. That leaves Sat afternoon open, and maybe all of Sunday. I probably ought to wait out the winter, and get more time comes summer; but time for shopping is an issue.

I'd hit up a dealers lot (20 day plates and credit cards would be a nice bonus) but that's an additional price bump as we all know.

Last edited:
The 2.2 is a good engine. I think we had some clutch problems around this period. Back then we were doing Outback Sports. That's a jacked up impreZa. Car would be too tight for me now in my 60's and fat at 250.
Our 96 Impreza wagon was the best car we owned in that decade.

images

I also think the Vic and the Marq were at the last couple years of production the most refined midsized American Car with The Buick LeSabre a very close second.

Originally Posted By: supton

That's actually a huge issue for me... I have to basically take time off from work to look at vehicles. M-Th evenings are busy; F is open. That leaves Sat afternoon open, and maybe all of Sunday. I probably ought to wait out the winter, and get more time comes summer; but time for shopping is an issue.

I'd hit up a dealers lot (20 day plates and credit cards would be a nice bonus) but that's an additional price bump as we all know.

send the missus and the kids down south in vacay, comes back in a stick-shift non-rusted beauty creampuff

also the fact that stick-shift/standard/manual is a rarity these days should get you (maybe) a better deal

If you could get a manual transmission panther wagon, then the choice would be obvious.

I really love panthers. Also love the utility of a wagon. If you two rank a manual transmission high, then the choice is obvious.

It has a timing belt - but you had one of those in your TDI. And the head gasket issues.

Subarus are like Jeeps. 50% say they are junk and constant problems, the other half say they will run forever and are the most reliable thing on the planet.

I had a 96 MGM and don't see what all the fuss is about. I had 180 HP and the newer ones are up to 250ish.

The seat was like a bar stool and I always had to clench myself to keep from falling off.

The trunk rusted out; there are lots of little triangular pockets like where the jack sits that rot right to smithereens.

It handled okay and the sight lines were good.

You'd be better off in another camry.

What I'm suggesting should cut down your shopping time. I'm suggesting you don't narrow down your options to one or the other, just buy the first one that meets your needs. That should cut down on time looking for a good example, since you have twice the number of cars to choose from you should find a good one quicker.

I've been toying with a Camry; problem is, there's a dead spot in the years. 2002-2008(?) has the 2.4L headbolt problem. So it's 2001 and older (gotta go south to shop) or 2009 and newer (bring out the checkbook). Seems kinda wrong to drop $2-3k on a 15+ year old vehicle. I know the dollar isn't what it used to be, but still.

Not touching a V6. I'm sure it'd be a "fun" car and ought to have similar acceleration to my truck; but it'll cost more to buy, feed and fix.

Edit: I pointed out to my wife that I had spied a (cheap) '95 stick Corolla; she rolled her eyes at me and stated "it's 21 years old".

Last edited:

What I'm suggesting should cut down your shopping time. I'm suggesting you don't narrow down your options to one or the other, just buy the first one that meets your needs. That should cut down on time looking for a good example, since you have twice the number of cars to choose from you should find a good one quicker.

Ah, gotcha. Well, still doing my research first. If I can narrow down the field and learn the problem areas, then I can buy on-sight.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
2000 Camry 2.2L, 78k miles, 5 speed

Link

1999 Camry 2.2L, 139k miles, auto

Link

1999 Camry 2.2L, 131k miles, auto

Link

grin2.gif

The stickshift one is tempting--it'll need a timing belt based on age, maybe exhaust. It's also been up for a month now, and hasn't sold. If it was completely rust free though, it could be a good one, but I don't get why it hasn't sold yet.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
2000 Camry 2.2L, 78k miles, 5 speed

Link

1999 Camry 2.2L, 139k miles, auto

Link

1999 Camry 2.2L, 131k miles, auto

Link

grin2.gif

The stickshift one is tempting--it'll need a timing belt based on age, maybe exhaust. It's also been up for a month now, and hasn't sold. If it was completely rust free though, it could be a good one, but I don't get why it hasn't sold yet.

My auto will get around 33-35 mpg if I drive about 65 mph.

Timing belt really isn't that hard to do, mine will need one soon. Was a $100 kit by Gates (or Dayco?). Alternator off, both serpentine belts off, timing belt plastic cover off, harmonic balancer off but crank to TDC, mark timing belt with white out so you can count the teeth, take off tensioner and pulley, bolt new pulley and tensioner on and slip on belt and reassemble.

Luckily you'd have your Tundra as a spare in the meantime if you got stuck with something.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
All vomit beige!

True, but it'd be my car, and I can live with the color.

Or not. On my VW I tried to teach my kids how to spray paint--I sanded the hood and primered it, as the rust was bothering me. One rattlecan paint job and I'll never have to worry about someone parking too close to me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back