'01 Civic. A/C compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 2001 Civic, with 300k miles, original owner. I replaced the original A/C compressor at about 200k miles.

Now my current compressor is acting up. It's somewhat noisy, usually when you first turn it on. It usually goes away shortly after. Also, when it is making this noise, the car seems like it's really struggling on power, doesn't want to go like normal. Fuel mileage doesn't seem to be effected. No refrigerant has been added or removed since it was installed.

Should I be planning on replacing this compressor? Could it be just the clutch? A/C performance seems fine, blows cold.

Also, the car really struggles to start when the a/c is in the on position. Cranks and starts fine when it's not.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is the fan coming on?

Yes. Fans work fine. AC works, just noisy compressor.

When a compressor comes apart inside, bits of metal get stuck in the condenser. This is especially bad with scroll-type compressors such as your car has. So the condenser should always be replaced along with compressor.

300k get ready for a complete ac system overhaul. Compressor, condenser, dryer and expansion valve. Be sure to flush the lines as well.

Originally Posted By: Doog
300k get ready for a complete ac system overhaul. Compressor, condenser, dryer and expansion valve. Be sure to flush the lines as well.

^^^^This.

I just did this service on one of my Rams. Everything was ready to go. Lines were brittle and collapsing internally, compressor was weak, condenser was well-hammered from 1/4 million miles on the road.

The only original part left is the evaporator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back