BMW Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BMW just hit 30,000 miles and while at the dealer for my free oil change, they said the air filter is not due for a change until 45,000 miles.

That seems way too long to me to go on an air filter. Have any others gone this long? Or should I go ahead and change it?

Should I stay OEM or go with aftermarket?

High quality aftermarket for European makes is Mann, Hengst and Mahle. The filters for your BMW are made by one of those manufactures.

How often you change the air filter depends on how dirty it is. I'd take it out and look at it but it's a good idea to have one on hand if doing so. Many European vehicles come with a larger air filter than you'll see on a typical Asian or American make. The air filter in my car looked like it could do the 60K the manual calls for. I replaced it earlier however.

Originally Posted By: JC1
How dirty is the air filter? If it's that bad then get it changed.

I have not actually opened up the housing to check it out. Just going by miles alone and wanted additional feedback before opening it up/changing it out, or not.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
I have not actually opened up the housing to check it out. Just going by miles alone and wanted additional feedback before opening it up/changing it out, or not.
Anybody who tries to tell you whether it needs replacement or not based on miles alone is making a wild guess. That includes the manufacturer and dealer. Its condition depends on how dusty the air is where you travel, just as much as on mileage. They can be badly clogged at 100 miles, or OK at 100,000, depending on conditions. You have to look at it, or ideally measure the pressure drop caused by the filter.

Replacing it prematurely will increase engine wear, at least slightly.

Last edited:
+1 for the restriction gauge.
Air filters get more efficient as they fill with dirt.
Changing it too soon does your engine no favors.
Moderate increase in restriction will not affect MPGs in a modern engine; only slightly reduces full throttle acceleration.
I put a gauge on my Matrix and plan to replace the filter when it reaches 15".
Currently 38k miles on the filter and the restriction is between 8 and 11".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014BI1KA

Both the aftermarket and OEM air filters for my wife's 328i were made by MANN IIRC, but the OEM filter, which was close to the same price, had a foam pre-filter affixed to it, so they were not the same. I only used OEM air (and cabin air) filters on the M5 but did try an alternative oil filter (MANN) once.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Both the aftermarket and OEM air filters for my wife's 328i were made by MANN IIRC, but the OEM filter, which was close to the same price, had a foam pre-filter affixed to it, so they were not the same. I only used OEM air (and cabin air) filters on the M5 but did try an alternative oil filter (MANN) once.

Typically there are two part numbers: one with the foam pre filter, and one without. If the OEM is set up this way, the OES (Mann, Mahle, Hengst) will be too. Many online vendors do not list both part numbers, but they are available.

I bought the replacement from bavauto, I don't recall them listing two for the car
21.gif
The OEM only had the one style, and that's the one with the foam.

I bought the replacement from bavauto, I don't recall them listing two for the car
21.gif

I'd be interested to see what pops up under your vin on BMW ETK or RealOEM.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
21.gif

I'd be interested to see what pops up under your vin on BMW ETK or RealOEM.

I didn't use the VIN, but going by the model and year, interestingly I find that the 328i calls for:
13721730449 - no pre-filter

Whilst the 330i calls for:

13721744869 - with pre-filter

Both are the same size filter and interchangeable...
21.gif

Now I'm wondering if BMW just sent me the 330i filter because that's what they had in stock, LOL!!

Interesting. I guess the 330i has a higher HP engine? I wonder why the filters would be different.

I'd wager that both vehicles had both filters listed in ETK. He got one with the foam pre-filter because he lives in snow country; the foam is to keep snow away from the paper.

BMW is VERY specific in its builds. It is also entirely possible that his specific VIN brings up the one with foam because it was originally sold in Canada.

It could also be an off-cycle production line change. It's hard to say, with the vehicles getting older and farther away from where they were originally sold.

The MANN filter I purchased from NAPA has a foam pre-filter exactly the same as the OEM.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Toto

The MANN filter I purchased from NAPA has a foam pre-filter exactly the same as the OEM.
TOTO.

Interesting, did they give you the option of different part #'s?

Originally Posted By: Toto

TOTO.

Interesting, did they give you the option of different part #'s?

Napa online part# ATM C251141 it's on sale for $15.03, I know it's exactly the sams as the OEM because I kept the OEM filter for comparison, it came in an MANN Filter box and has the MANN Filter logo stamped on the side. 5 options are available.
TOTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back