Wiper blade refills Trico Exact fit vs. Toyota OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have found that if there is a silvery appearance to the rubber that it's a graphite coating. Rub your fingers or a paper towel across it and see if you pick up some pencil-like color. This is actually a good thing. While the coating lasts you'll get very smooth wiping action. I used to like the PIAA "Super Graphite" inserts a lot.
yes as long as the quality is good no problems, I went the extra mile to get the Toyota oem refills and used them with great success in the past I just never came across an toy oem refill in gray/silver, I have came across gray/silver silicone cut to fits from Thailand, not quite sure if the one I received is a genuine Toyota oem or they tricked me and sent a knockoff
13.gif

Originally Posted By: KingCake
I see inserts come in 6mm and 8mm, which is common for a toyota?

6 mm is the most common and is almost 100% certainly the ones for your Toyota unless you are trying to refill aftermarket blade frames.

my truck is that way 22 inch drivers and 21 inch passenger

8mm wide driver, 6mm wide passenger most toyota dealers will sell only complete beam sets now, rubber refills are long gone

Last edited:
8mm tends to be used more in aftermarket blades while 6mm is more often the choice of OEM. For example, my Mazda uses 6mm and the Rain-X hybrid blades I bought for my son's car would need 8mm. Since I order silicone inserts from Thailand that are offered in both widths I'll be able to refill the hybrid blades.

From the factory, I've never seen blades that use different widths for the driver and passenger. That's just been my experience.

I learned today that the metal strips that stiffen the rubber insert spine are called VERTEBRA. The name makes sense for the function, but it's funny to me. I sure wish I knew where to find those little end clips I showed in the photo. I really need a few more for other cars I maintain.

I thought of something yesterday regarding the use of cut-to-fit inserts. Instead of using the snap-in portion of the insert at the bottom of the wiping arc, why not use it at the top? That way the vertebra will be forced against the closed end of the insert instead of the open end when the wipers are in motion. I'm going to try that on mine next time without using the little metal clips.

Isn't the clip on the OEM at the bottom? I've always thought that the insert pushing against the stop when wiping and not the clip was better. But maybe it pushes against both during the arc.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
Isn't the clip on the OEM at the bottom? I've always thought that the insert pushing against the stop when wiping and not the clip was better. But maybe it pushes against both during the arc.

The raised rubber bits that hold the inserts in are usually at the bottom, but I was thinking that using them at the top might keep the vertebra from sliding out since the movement of the wipers creates force in the upward direction, not downward. Just a thought.

Let us know how it works. My OEM blades were beam type, so I can't refill. I did try Trico Neo-Form beams on my Eos, Fushion, and Cammry and they worked fine but, on my Avalon the passenger side blade didn't wipe well after a short time. Back to the OEM blade which is hinged at each end and wipes better.

Last edited:
It'll be a while before I try it. I refilled my factory blade frames with silicone inserts about a year ago. My car is in a parking garage by day and my garage by night. Silicone wipers generally last 2-3 times longer than natural rubber with outdoor exposure. The rubber that came on the car lasted a little over two years so it could be a while before I wear out my current blades. It also doesn't rain a whole lot here in the DFW area. I think we average 235 days of sunshine a year so UV wears out wiper blades more than actual use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back