Best serpentine belt in the market ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OEM should last 100-200K. If your belt prematurely failed there is another problem.

Bando, Continental, Gates, Dayco, are all decent brands.

I've heard Bando... Gates is good, but a lot are becoming Mexico Sourced. For this reason I used an AAP Dayco on my last job and have been happy.

Most serpentine belts seem pretty good these days. Not a hard part to make correctly.

Goodyear Gatorbacks used to be the thing, at least on the Ranger forums. I just use whatever now. I put a lower grade Napa (Dayco?) belt on my '94 Ranger over a year ago and it is quiet and looks fine.

A Dayco Poly Rib on my '02 Ranger showed some white stitching across the belt after some miles, but didn't make any noise or anything. Dayco replaced it for free in exchange for the old belt. The new one has been fine.

Last edited:
I put Gates belts on my Camry at around 195k (it has 2 serpentine belts).

I expect them to be the last belts the car ever has. I see no reason they can't do 100k+.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've heard Bando... Gates is good, but a lot are becoming Mexico Sourced. For this reason I used an AAP Dayco on my last job and have been happy.

Bando is the OE belt for many makes including Honda.

Only good aftermarket brand I know are the Goodyear Gatorback belts since they are the only ones using that rib design. Then you have Gates, Bando, Mitsuboshi, etc.

anything that is good name brand and not counterfeit Chinese [censored] should be fine.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Pully alignment is the key.

+1

+2

Gatorback (now Continental) belts are supposed to be more tolerant of worn/misaligned pulleys.

The secret to long life for a serpentine belt might just be the automatic tension devices along with the flat belt construction and wide pulleys.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman
something that last longer than the OEM ?

If the OEM belt isn't lasting, there is another problem.

I vote the fleet runner by gates, it is green. I've used three of them and never had a problem. Also they visually pass the quality test with the rubber that's used being soft.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: sirgerman
something that last longer than the OEM ?

If the OEM belt isn't lasting, there is another problem.

+1 The Toyota 1MZ-FE would often have belt failures because the tensioner design was garbage.

Anyway, I am not sure what outlasts OEM. I never had a problem as long as I used the premium line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back